‘Fiddler on the Roof’ stomps to Weidner Center

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
November 14, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

The Weidner Center for the Performing Arts is known for its tradition of bringing large- scale Broadway productions to UW-Green Bay’s campus. Keeping this tradition, the Weidner Center will be hosting “Fiddler on the Roof” Nov. 17 at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Rush tickets are available for students 90 minutes before the show through Ticketstar.

The original Broadway “Fiddler on the Roof” was written by Sholem Aleichem in 1964. It was an immediate hit and holds the record for the first Broadway production to surpass 3,000 performances.

The production coming to the Weidner Center is presented by Prather Entertainment Group National Touring Company, and is true to its Broadway roots.

“It’s a very traditional production of ‘Fiddler on the Roof,’” said Will Prather, PEG owner. “It tells the story in a traditional manner. One of the exciting parts of the production is its Broadway sets and costumes. We are using the same scenery that was on the most recent Broadway production.”

While “Fiddler on the Roof” has been performed worldwide and adapted over time, the story remains the same. Set in 1905 Anatevka, Russia, “Fiddler on the Roof” tells the story of milkman Tevye and his wife as they search for suitable husbands for their five daughters.

“‘Fiddler on the Roof’ is a powerful show about family, heritage and changing times,” said Stephanie Maufort, program manager for the Weidner Center. “The characters are very relatable despite the fact that they’re from another era and culture.”

From Prather Entertainment Group National Touring Company, Dean and Lauren Sobon are responsible for this production. The pair has been part of the PEG theater company for more than a decade. They met and fell in love while acting in a previous production of “Fiddler on the Roof.”

The Prather family, who founded the theater company, has been in the theater business for more than 48 years. They now own the PEG National Touring Company, The Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre and Broadway Palm Dinner Theatre.

For the sixth season, Will Prather, owner of PEG, has a simple goal for the company: sell as many tickets as possible, have a full house and in the end, have a standing ovation.

“There is nothing better than a standing ovation at the end of a performance,” Prather said.

PEG National Touring Company’s current production of “Fiddler on the Roof” has been touring throughout the U.S. with a cast and crew of around 40 members since August. The cast is composed of seasoned and new actors. The lead actor Jimmy Ferraro, playing Tevye, is familiar with “Fiddler on the Roof.” Throughout his acting career, Ferraro has appeared in more than 2,000 performances of the musical.

A new performer to the group and Green Bay native, Elizabeth McMongale plays Tevye’s second oldest daughter. McMongale graduated from UW-Stevens Point with a degree in musical theater.

“We, as the cast, have definitely melded together and formed a family,” McMongale said. “Like a family, we have our arguments and up and downs, but from the beginning there has always been a lot of love, and it comes across on the stage.

With this type of performance, it is essential that we feel and look like a family. In this day and age we all need a constant reminder of what matters, what family is and love. ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ delivers this all.”