Neville Museum displays ‘Artists as Teachers’

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

No pens or markers allowed. No pushing or roughhousing. No food. Use inside voices and no climbing the exhibits. These are rules taught to students while visiting a museum. As adults, many can control their temptations and have learned to appreciate the diverse displays on museum walls.

From traditional representations to conceptual pieces, jewelry, installations, paintings, sculpture, mixed media, video, digital photography, fiber, encaustic and prints are displayed at the Neville Public Museum.

The exhibit is sponsored by Byron L. Walter Family Trust and Schneider National Foundation, with other groups supporting it.

Artist as Teacher Part 1: The Fine Arts exhibition is open Jan. 25 to May 5. This is the first combined exhibition featuring faculty artists from St. Norbert College and UW-Green Bay.

“I’ve wanted to do a showcase of faculty artists for a long time,” said Marilyn Stasiak, Neville curator of art. “We have a lot of local wonderful artists, and this is a good starting point for future exhibits.”

All featured artists are local with an extensive exhibition record. Most have been recognized nationally for the quality of their work.

“I couldn’t pick a favorite piece,”Stasiak said. “It’s like asking me my favorite color. Their a lot of talent in the exhibition.”

UWGB’s Senior Academic Curator of Art of the Lawton Gallery, Stephen Perkins, submitted three pieces to the Teacher as Artist exhibition. Perkins attended St. Albans Art School, where he specialized in photography.

“The works I submitted are from a larger series meant to challenge our assumptions about museums and the types of objects, which we traditionally expect them to collect and exhibit,” Perkins said.

Beginning in 2005, Perkins titled his project, “Imagined Museums” using the computer program InDesign to create his textual pieces. Perkins identified text as a reappearing theme in his work. “Imagined Museums” was inspired by Perkins’ readings and research connected to the Gallery Museum Studies program he teaches.

“Language has always been a sort of center place for my works,” Perkins said. “I wanted to push the idea of a museum being an object based on its collections to one where you have to think much more conceptually. ‘Imagine Museums’ is very conceptual because I think we have a certain amount of difficulty putting some of the text together. Teaching this course helped me get to the idea of various museums and its intentions.”

Perkins’ works were originally presented as a packet of black and white postcards, each describing a different museum.

“I give away my art. I’m not interested in art as a commodity,” Perkins said. “We had a couple of faculty shows over the years, and for a number of shows I had my pieces printed on postcards and gave them away. I’m always surprised and flattered when someone says they still have it on their fridge. I feel it might be a couple places across the city where a postcard of mine is stuck up somewhere. I like that it’s available and out there, you don’t need an art degree to appreciate it.”

Artist statements are posted within the exhibition, revealing the meaning of their visual representations. The statements consider layers and interpretations of each piece, challenging the viewers.

“We have a bunch of artists, but no real art community in Green Bay,” Perkins said. “It’s a nice mix of mediums and approaches. Mine is probably the most conceptually based. The others are based on imagery and objects in some way a really nice variety.”

This unique opportunity presented with the Artist as Teacher exhibit features an assemblage of local faculty artists, along with their thought provoking statements. Students are encouraged to visit the exhibition and recognize the talent of our diverse faculty, running Jan. 25 to May 5 at the Neville Museum.