50 shades of paint to color campus

Cyndi Revolinsky , Entertainment Writer
September 19, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Vibrant blues, dazzling yellows and blushing pinks fall from above. Brilliant shades of the rainbow cover everything and everyone in its path. As the colors shower, exercising transforms from a chore to a choice.

The Color Run hits UW-Green Bay Sept. 29. Participants of all ages will be running, jogging or walking their way through the university grounds in The Color Run’s debut appearance in Green Bay.

The Color Run is a unique paint race that celebrates healthiness, happiness and individuality. It is more about enjoying the journey than racing to the finish line.

“Because this event is marked as a fun run and is untimed, it lacks the intimidation factor that other organized fitness events can have,” said Jessica Nixon, public relations specialist for the event. “The Color Run is an attainable goal that novice runners can work to achieve and hopefully will act as a catalyst to inspire continual healthy living.”

Runners are encouraged to wear all white and at each kilometer mark of the course, volunteers douse the runners with a different color of paint.

The paint is an all-natural cornstarch dyed with food coloring that is safe to the human body and the environment.

Runners celebrate completion of the race during the Finish Festival.

“Every 15 minutes, we lead a color throw,” said Kari Dawson, state representative for The Color Run and UWGB alumna. “Participants take their individual bags of color and launch them into the air to create a magnificent plume of color.”

In addition to showering runners with paint, The Color Run will be leading Jazzercise before the race. Afterwards, a stage will be set up blasting upbeat music.

There will be dance contests, opportunities to win prizes and the chance to pose for pictures with the Runicorn, The Color Run’s official mascot.

Nearly 6,000 people have already registered. The run is being capped at 7,000.

People can register at TheColorRun.com. Registration is $40 for individuals and $35 for each member in teams of four or more. Use the code COLORPHOENIX to save an extra $5 on registration. Packet pick up is Sept. 27 and Sept. 28 in the Weidner Center lots from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Those who wish to participate but don’t want to run can volunteer to assist with the event.

Student organizations can also register to volunteer to earn money. There are limited spots remaining and groups are encouraged to sign up as soon as possible.

On race day, the primary parking lots will be Wood Hall, Studio Arts and the north Weidner lot. There will also be parking in remote lots, and shuttle buses will be on hand to transport participants.

The Color Run is more than a good time; it is also for a good cause.

The organization works with local charities in every city it visits. The Green Bay charity partner is the Office of Student Life.

“They will be receiving a $1 donation per runner,” Dawson said. “The Color Run will also donate to community nonprofit groups that supply more than 15 volunteers. Several UWGB organizations are supplying volunteers.”

Milwaukee, Racine and Madison have also hosted the Color Run. These events differ from the upcoming run at UWGB because of the course.

Runners will start near the Studio Arts parking lot and make their way around campus to the finish line in the Weidner Center parking lot.

“During The Color Run at Miller Park, participants walk around the parking lot,” said Grant Winslow, program coordinator for Student Life. “Here, they’ll go past all of the resident buildings and most of the academic buildings on campus. It gives people the opportunity who have never been on campus to walk through the grounds and see what it looks like. It’s an awesome showcase opportunity.”

The Color Run is also known as The Happiest 5K on the Planet and has been very successful since its launch in 2011. It is the largest event series in the world with events held in more than 120 U.S. cities and 30 countries.

“What makes our event so successful is the fact that everyone works so hard to make it better than successful,” Dawson said. “There is a tremendous amount of pride and passion in what we do.”

Founder Travis Snyder conceived the concept for The Color Run with his wife. He began creating high endurance events 15 years ago.

Snyder wanted to create a nonthreatening running environment where varying fitness levels could come together and enjoy the purity of the sport,  Nixon said.

“Travis’ inspiration came from day-glow events, Disney’s World of Color and color festivals throughout the world,” Nixon added. “He wanted to add a visual component to the event to serve as an aesthetic reward for all of the participants who completed the race.”

For more information on The Color Run, like them on Facebook, visit their website and check it out on YouTube.

Spots are filling up quickly, so register now and be a part of the most colorful run UWGB has ever seen.