Resch wants Bon Jovi dead or alive

jovi

Photos by Cheyenne Makinia/Fourth Estate

Lights shine on Bon Jovi during its Oct. 23 performance at the Resch Center in front of nearly 10,000 cheering audience members.

Cheyenne Makinia , Photography Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Bon Jovi was welcomed to Green Bay for the first time at the Resch Center Oct. 23 by 9,282 screaming fans on their feet.

The next two and a half hours were filled with songs ranging from the band’s dozen albums, including their first album, “Bon Jovi,” to their most recent album, “What About Now.”

Jon Bon Jovi had non-stop dance moves for the crowd, even while playing his guitar. The more he showed off his moves around the stage, the louder the audience got.

Bon Jovi was ranked in the No. 1 position on Pollstar.com’s Top 100 Worldwide Tours from January to June of 2013. Bon Jovi’s “Because We Can Tour” grossed $142.1 million in 60 shows.

The second song, “You Give Love a Bad Name,” had the arena echoing back the lyrics, which was just the warm up for what continued throughout the night for songs like “Runaway,” “It’s My Life” and “Wanted Dead or Alive.”

The audience was a mixture of fans who had been following Bon Jovi since its creation in 1983, as well as first-time fans.

Senior education major Stephanie Sielaff and 2013 accounting graduate Kyle Youngs  won tickets when Sielaff called in for 101 WIXX’s “Singing Bee” radio contest the day of the concert.  Her song was chosen at random — coincidentally it was her favorite Bon Jovi song, “Livin’ on a Prayer.”

Sielaff said she was excited to win the tickets because she tried winning them four times prior. She tried calling 24 times for the singing bee before she got through.

While Sielaff has been a Bon Jovi fan for as long as she can remember, Youngs is not a big fan. However, they had agreed to spend time together that night and both ended up having a great time.

Jon Bon Jovi flashed his pearly white smile to all directions of the arena, even those who had seats behind the stage.

Jennesa Oberstedt of New London, Wis. paid $90 for her seat behind the stage and had a hard time seeing anything.

“To put it nice, those seats sucked,” Oberstedt said. “I wouldn’t recommend them for other performers coming in, especially if they don’t have a screen back there.”

Other tickets were a $100 or more throughout the arena.

At some points of the concert, it was hard to tell if Bon Jovi was  singing because the crowd was so loud.

Bon Jovi appeared to enjoy the crowd singing their lyrics just as much as the crowd enjoyed listening to the band perform.

When Jon Bon Jovi told the audience to get their hands in the air, it was like he was playing Simon Says. Everyone wanted to win. The arena was brought to life with the audience on their feet and their hands waving and clapping above their heads.

Some fans were upset that they didn’t perform their favorites like “Lay Your Hands On Me” and “Bed of Roses.”

“Even though they didn’t play those songs, I will forgive them,” said Kathy Bialkowski of Green Bay.

Bialkowski has seen the band perform four times. “I’m just glad they finally hit my hometown.”

Meredith Luokkala of Gwinn, Mich. said she also saw Bon Jovi in Detroit when she was in high school.

“This concert was just good, clean fun,” Luokkala said, “I’m glad they played my favorite song ‘Bad Medicine.’”

Sielaff’s favorite part of the concert was the encore.

“They came out and did four of their most popular songs,” Sielaff said. “It was amazing. They ended it with Livin’ on a Prayer, and the whole arena was singing along with them. It was a great show.”

The “Because We Can Tour” ends in mid-December in Australia.