UWGB bands perform at Weidner Center

bass

Photo by Cheyenne Makinia/Fourth Estate

Bassist Miranda Malone-Smeester joins the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble in their Oct. 30 performance at the Weidner Center.

Jessica Prusow , Entertainment Writer
November 7, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

UW-Green Bay Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble joined forces with the Preble High School Marching Band Oct. 30 at the Weidner Center for the Performing Arts.

The Symphonic Band, conducted by Kevin Collins, associate professor of music, opened their performance with “Candide Suite” by Leonard Bernstein, a piece based off of a satirical 1759 novella.

This was the band’s first performance of the semester.

Miranda Malone-Smeester, senior social work major took the stage with the Symphonic Band.  Malone-Smeester has played string bass for 10 years and most looked forward to “Auto-de-fe” in the Candide Suite performance.

Many family members of students filled the audience at the Weidner Center, eager to see their loved ones perform.

“My father and grandparents have come to every single concert in the past 10 years,” Malone-Smeester said. “Knowing they’re out there supporting me makes me proud. I want to do well for them.”

Many UWGB students feel lucky to have the Weidner Center as part of campus allowing them to perform on a stage setting in front of an audience.

“It’s important to attend events such as Symphonic Band concerts because it allows UWGB students to see the beautiful world that is the Weidner Center. It also allows them to see their talented peers on such an amazing stage,” Malone-Smeester said.

Other students in the music department agree.

“The Weidner Center is great,” said Sam Roth, English and German major and Symphonic Band member. “My high school never had a fancy performing arts center. We only had our gym, so it’s really nice to come here and have something that feels professional.”

Roth has played the flute for nine years. This is her third semester playing in the Symphonic Band.

Roth said more students should attend these events.  Whenever there is a performance, Roth likes to sit in the audience when the Wind Ensemble or choir is on  because they are wonderful performers.

“They draw me into the performance and I think most students would really enjoy that,” Roth said.

The Wind Ensemble played a piece from “Suite from Mass” by Leonard Bernstein, as well as a piece from the “Symphonic Dances” from “West Side Story,” an excerpt by Bernstein.

The Wind Ensemble took the audience through the story, painting a picture in their minds through music.

“The atmosphere of the Weidner during the performance is very much alive and thrilling,” Malone-Smeester said.

Preble High School Marching Band conducted by Megan Sweeney ended the event. The band’s performance included pieces such as “Over the Rainbow” and “Thriller.”

“Music changes a student,” Malone-Smeester said. “I would not be the person I am today had I not picked up the bass 10 years ago.”