OrgSmorg spectacular returns for spring semester

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
January 30, 2013
Filed under Life

Come one, come all to UW-Green Bay’s circus-themed club extravaganza, OrgSmorg. From gaming to geography and everything in between, there are organizations designed to fit everyone’s needs. OrgSmorg will be held in the Phoenix rooms Feb. 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

OrgSmorg is just as the title implies — a student organization smorgasbord. Every year, the event fills the Phoenix rooms with representatives from UWGB organizations.

According to John Landrum, program coordinator for Student Life, the Phoenix rooms hold 88 tables. This doesn’t include the tables that spill out into the hallway. This means that almost 100 clubs make an appearance. Plus, there are more clubs on campus that don’t make it to the event.

OrgSmorg is celebrating its 25th year at UWGB. The event occurs twice annually ­— at the beginning of the fall and the  spring semesters.

“It’s kind of a kick-off of the semester,” Landrum said. “It allows org leaders to get back in touch with all their org members, and it gets everyone psyched and ready to start a new semester.”

Each OrgSmorg has its own theme. Sometimes themes will repeat every few years because of their success, according to Landrum. Mardi Gras is an example of this.

Clubs participate in the chosen theme through decorations, costumes and free giveaways. This past fall, the theme was game shows, with tables decorated with all the hits, from “Jeopardy” to “The Dating Game.”

To fit with the circus theme, Landrum said Student Life will supply a snow cone machine as well as a cotton candy machine to go along with the circus decor. In keeping with its enthusiasm, Good Times Programming will  provide entertainment at its table.

“They’re having a balloon artist come to make animals and hats,” said Stephanie Kaponya, program coordinator for the Office of Student Life. “He is out of Chicago and is amazing. You will not miss him in his bright colored suit.”

“OrgSmorg is a great way to get in touch with the orgs on campus,” Landrum said. “There’s no cost, no hassle and no pressure. It’s just a way to walk around and see what orgs we have and see where you might fit in. These contacts are important to students as they try to fit themselves into a university.”

Kaponya shared a similar sentiment and said it’s a great opportunity to get involved in campus activities and find people with the same interests.

While OrgSmorg is primarily for students to explore the many clubs on campus, professors are welcome to visit the event as well.

“There is a lot of value for seeing the professors come and walk around and check things out,” Landrum said. “It’s a really good event for them to show up to as well.”