Student org shares love of arts with campus

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
Filed under Life

From the first papier-mache volcano to the last popsicle-stick house, art has a presence in every student’s educational career. Helping to keep this tradition alive at the university level is UW-Green Bay’s student organization Art Agency.

Art Agency is comprised of students who actively promote their own artistic growth as well as the arts in the community, according to Cristian Anderson, Art Agency president. Art Agency accomplishes this every year by holding various events on campus, such as the Empty Bowl charity event.

The Empty Bowl event is held annually to raise funds for food pantries in the Green Bay area. During the event, Art Agency members sell handmade bowls filled with homemade soups. Participants are able to take home their bowl when they’re done eating, and all the money goes to charity.

Art Agency is also responsible for the 407 Gallery located on the fourth floor of the Studio Arts building. The gallery showcases the work of students as well as local artists. The most recent exhibition on display was “Passion, Violence, Blind Desires,” by senior studio art major Brian Duka-Smith.

During this spring semester, Art Agency will also be bringing in two visiting artists — a sculptor from Green Bay and a performance artist from New York.

“The organization is very community-minded, and by supporting the visiting artist program at UWGB, we bring professional artists into the university that become valuable resources to the greater student body,” Anderson said. “In all of these cases, Art Agency helps facilitate the transition from being a student of art to a working artist.”

In the past, the organization held several art sales in the Phoenix rooms. According to Anderson, there should be another sale during the spring semester.

Art Agency is one of the oldest and largest UWGB organizations on campus, according to UWGB’s art program website. However, its current size isn’t due to active campaigns or widespread advertising on campus. According to Jennifer Mokren, Art Agency faculty advisor, most of the information about the club is spread via word of mouth and posters in Studio Arts.

“Members have joined the organization through direct means —  current members talking to their peers about Art Agency, as well as through more indirect means, such as interest gained through our sponsored events or by noticing our meetings in the Studio Arts lounge,” Anderson said.

Art Agency isn’t exclusively for art majors. Anderson said most of the members are studio arts majors or minors, but there are a number of active members who are design majors, and anyone with an interest in the arts is welcome to participate.

“We are students who support each other and want to help every member succeed in that crazy art world,” Anderson said. “Sometimes it really comes down to the people you know.”

Art Agency meets in the Studio Arts Lounge every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. For more information, check out Art Agency’s page on Facebook.