Career Services prepares college job seekers

Caitlin Heitman, Life Writer
Filed under Life, Top Stories

Unsure what employers are looking for? Looking to create an effective resume that will stand out? Have a desire to improve job interview skills? Then attend several upcoming on-campus events geared toward students approaching graduation or seeking employment.

Nuts and Bolts of Professionalism, Feb. 25 from 12-1:15 p.m. in Phoenix Room B of the University Union, will feature a panel of recent graduates. They will answer a variety of questions related to what can be expected of students for interviews and the work world.

Linda Peacock-Landrum, director of Career Services, said this program could help students avoid many job-search pitfalls.

“Many students delay making decisions about life after graduation and in doing so honestly miss  out on support and assistance that they can receive,” Peacock-Landrum said. “This program will allow students to truly understand the steps, skills and qualities needed to be professional in searching for employment.”

Students interested in attending should register before Feb. 21 through the UWGB’s PRO website.

Another opportunity for current students to improve professional skills is to attend Dine like a Professional Etiquette Lunch. “Chef Jeff” Igel, chair of the culinary arts and hospitality department at Fox Valley Technical College, will guide students through the do’s and don’ts of acting professional in a dining setting, all while being able to enjoy a meal at no cost. The event is March 4 from 11:40 a.m.-1:40 p.m. in Phoenix Room B. Interested students are asked to register before Feb. 25 through the PRO website.

Lastly, Mock Interview Day is a date set aside March 7 from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. in the Phoenix Rooms where students are able to work among a variety of professionals from different industries on skills that will affect how an interview may turn out. In presenting themselves professionally and explaining their skills, education and work experience, students will attain professional advice and gain a feel for what will be expected of them in future interviews. Registration for a time slot during Mock Interview Day is based on a first-come basis, so students are encouraged to sign up before the Feb. 27 deadline.