Award recognizes student employees

Alyssa Lamberton, Life Writer
March 27, 2013
Filed under Life

Hard work, dedication and experience. These are all things students can gain from employment in college. Each year, several students are nominated for the Student Employee of the Year award, only one of which wins.

According to Kristina Berg, Student Service Specialist and a member of the Student Employee of the Year committee, 10 to 15 student employees are nominated each year.

This year, there were 14 nominees from a variety of departments.

The committee consists of seven members from different campus departments and also includes last year’s Student Employee of the Year winner.

Winners are chosen based on reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism and uniqueness of contribution, according to the Student Employee of the Year page on the UW-Green Bay Student Employment website. This is the ninth year the award has been given.

This year’s nominees are introduced below. For more details about the nominees or for other student employment information, go to the Facebook page at facebook.com/UWGBStudentEmployment.

Mitch Babe, senior business administration major, has been a marketing coordinator in the Dean’s Office in College of Professional Studies since August 2012. He handles many communication tasks, including print, digital, social media and other visual mediums and reports to the operations manager. Anne Buttke, Babe’s supervisor, described him as a creative, reliable and professional worker who surpasses expectations, even when he faces unexpected challenges.

Chiara Boss is a senior public administration major with an emphasis in nonprofit management and a psychology minor. She is the university advancement student assistant and handles a variety of tasks related to fundraising and donor relations. Boss’ supervisor, Shannon Bedura, described her as reliable, detail-oriented and able to complete projects even without all of the necessary materials.

Amanda Cheney is a senior human biology major with an emphasis in exercise science and a French minor. She is currently a reference/resource sharing assistant and has held a variety of positions at the Cofrin Library since September 2008. Some of her duties include customer service, event planning and training new students. Cheney’s supervisor, Emily Rogers, said she wanted to recognize her for her tremendous effort she puts into her job. She describes Cheney as creative, resourceful and able to overcome obstacles.

Morgan Hansen, junior public administration major with an emphasis in nonprofit management, works as a student office assistant and is responsible for follow-up activities related to the Alumni Phone-a-Thon. She is also a Phone-a-Thon caller and program supervisor. Hansen’s supervisor, Tracy Heaser, said she is trustworthy of sensitive information and is a conscientious, hard-working employee.

Stephanie Kessler, a senior in the nursing program, has worked as a student assistant in collection development/acquisitions in the Cofrin Library for four years. She receives and processes U.S. government documents and also helps with inventories in various collections. Leah Liebergen, Kessler’s supervisor, nominated her for her ability to learn tasks quickly and said her greatest strength is her willingness to follow through on projects.

Marin Kniskern is a senior art major with minors in anthropology and design arts. She has worked as an office assistant in Career Services for two years. She completes clerical projects, such as creating information in PRO, and is a backup receptionist. Her supervisor, Amanda Vande Hei, said she nominated Kniskern because of her strong work ethic and ability to manage all of her tasks professionally.

Jennifer Nooyen, junior social work major, has been a student office assistant at the NEW Behavioral Health Training Partnership for two and a half years, where she handles many customer service duties. She also works on several tasks supporting the training manager. Nooyen’s supervisor, Sharon Locklin, said she nominated her for going above and beyond her expectations. Locklin describes Nooyen as a quick learner who is trustworthy and follows through on her tasks.

Ashley Skalecki, senior public administration major, has been an office assistant for the Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium since November 2011. She maintains the website and completes other general office duties and requests from the office coordinator. Brittany Luedtke, Skalecki’s supervisor, nominated her for her professionalism, accuracy and dedication to the position.

Cassandra Stanzel is a junior business administration major with a human resources emphasis and a psychology minor. She is a student office assistant for alumni relations, where she helps with office support for the Alumni Association. Stanzel’s supervisor, Jeane Stangel, described her as extremely reliable and dependable while working with sensitive and confidential records.

Jacob Eggert, graduate student in environmental science and policy, is the lead intern for the Aurora BayCare Healthcare Internship and has been employed there since 2011. He works with the center to evaluate environmental performance. Eggert’s supervisor, John Arendt, said he is always confident and driven to excel.

Mysty Kepler is a senior communication major with a public relations emphasis and a business administration minor. She works as a financial aid student specialist.

Katie Van Straten, senior business administration major and graphic design major, was hired in September 2012 as a for-credit intern for Marketing and University Communication. She became a student employee this semester as a graphic design intern. Van Straten’s’ supervisor, Kimberly Vlies, said her level of creativity, reliability and quality of work is similar to that of a professional designer, rather than just a student.

Andrew Wenig, senior human biology major with a health science emphasis, has worked in the University Union since January 2011 and became a building manager in June 2011. He is responsible for opening the building as well as overseeing activities and equipment and supervising service areas. Wenig’s supervisor, Poppy Grant, said he is passionate about his job and is always willing to help others out.

Spencer Karls is a senior working on his second undergraduate degree in art with an emphasis in photography. His first degree is in environmental science. He works as a darkroom and woodshop assistant for the art department.