University Union appreciates its customers

Nicole Penke, Life Writer
April 17, 2013
Filed under Life

University Union employees will treat students and faculty to sweet deals, freebies and lots of fun during Customer Appreciation Day April 25. This year’s theme is Willy Wonka and the Candy Factory.

According to Miranda Knudson, marketing specialist, the Union will transform into a candy factory filled with surprises and fun. The events will be held throughout the day, starting around 9 a.m. All the events are free for students and staff. A number of events are scheduled throughout the day, allowing students opportunity to fit a visit to the Union into their schedules.

In the morning, students will be able to make their own candy necklaces. There will be a table in the Leona Cloud Commons where students can stop by and create a sugary treat to get them through their day. This event will run from 9-11 a.m. or while supplies last.

At 11 a.m. students can spin the candy wheel to win prizes, including Marcus movie passes, Shorewood sandwich vouchers, free nine-hole walking rounds of golf at Shorewood, CheapSeats tickets, candy, travel cups and more. Students can also enter a coloring contest for additional prizes until 1 p.m. in the Cloud Commons.

Between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., the Union social media manager will be hosting a scavenger hunt. Clues and riddles will be posted on Twitter. The first one to the location where the Oompa Loompa is hiding will win one of the many grand prizes. The number of hidden Oompa Loompas may vary, but event organizers plan to give away more prizes than ever. They will also be posting candy-themed trivia questions on Facebook all day for more chances to win prizes.

At noon, there will be a free ice cream sundae bar for students. Candy toppings will be available to make the ice cream extra sweet. Golden tickets will be hidden on some bowls, giving students a shot at more prizes.

A Candy Crush Saga tournament will be held in the Phoenix Club around 4 p.m. The participant with the highest score on the leaderboard at the end of the tournament time wins a pair of Skull Candy Headphones.

Also, A’viands will be giving away an iPad. Each time students dine on-campus, they will receive a lucky ticket for a chance to win.  The drawing will take place April 26. The more times students visit, the better their odds to win.

“This event is a way for the University Union to show appreciation for the students that call it home,” Kundson said. “We are the living room of campus. We have a student focus in everything we do, whether it’s events, programming or updates. This is a day of food and fun. We want to make sure our students know that they are the reason we exist.”

The University Union has held Customer Appreciation Day for many years. Each year is a different theme, but the goal and concept stays the same. The idea is to connect with the students and staff with new creative ways every year.

“Students love all the freebies on this day — even if they don’t entirely know why they are getting free stuff,” Kundson said. “There’s no college student who will turn down free ice cream or the opportunity to win valuable prizes. They should know how much they mean to our University Union and our entire campus. They are the reason we’re all here. They are our customers, and they are appreciated.”

Customer Appreciation Day has served many students in the past, and the Union staff anticipate the students and staff will grasp this golden opportunity again this year. Stop by for sweet deals, freebies and fun April 25th.