Awards acknowledge student leadership on campus

Katie Phernetton, Life Writer
May 8, 2013
Filed under Life

College offers students an array of opportunities for involvement and growth. UW-Green Bay recognizes some of its most dedicated students with the Chancellor’s Leadership Medallion and the University Leadership Awards.

The Chancellor’s Medallions  honor those who have demonstrated academic achievement and leadership through campus and community involvement during their college careers.

The University Leadership Awards recognize undergraduates who are dedicated to campus life or community service while remaining in good academic standing. All recipients are nominated by faculty, staff and students.

It’s not just something to put on a resume, but also an honor to those who have committed themselves to leadership and service  during their college careers.

Jena Richter, senior communication major, is one of the winners of the Chancellor’s Medallion.

“Receiving the Chancellor’s Medallion means a lot to me because it recognizes my deep commitment and investment in this campus as well of all the hard work that I’ve put in,” Richter said. “It also represents the great memories I’ve made earning it.”

Richter has been involved in many different campus organizations including professional clubs, teaching assistantships and Student Ambassadors. She was also a resident assistant during her time at UWGB.

Nellie Schafer, senior education major, was one of the recipients of the University Leadership Award. Schafer said she was honored when she won, but that wasn’t the best part.

“It’s not so much about getting the award and being recognized as it is about hearing who  nominated me and some of their reasons,” Schafer said. “I don’t do what I do on this campus for a plaque. I do what I do because that’s me and I’m grateful and blessed for the opportunities I’ve had the past four years and how much I have grown because of them.”

Schafer and Richter believe it’s important for students to get involved on campus.

“There’s a quote by Thomas Edison I like to live by: ‘We often miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work,’” Richter said. “I try not to miss opportunities, but at the same time, you must be selective and not bite off more than you can chew because you want to be able to do quality work in every role you play.”

Schafer said part of leadership is inspiring others.

“I want every student to find his or her own niche,” Schafer said. “If I didn’t have individuals pushing me to be the best and encouraging me, then I can’t say I would be receiving this award today. You never know the impact you’ll have on another individual through your leadership.”

There were 29 recipients of the Chancellor’s Leadership Medallion and 46 recipients of the University Leadership Award. Other awards that were given were Outstanding Student Organization, Most Improved Student Organization, Outstanding Service Project, Outstanding Support Staff and Outstanding Adviser.

The awards will be formally presented May 17 at 6 p.m. in the University Theatre located in Theatre Hall. All are welcome to attend.