Campus celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

hispanic

Cheyenne Makinia/Fourth Estate

For information about upcoming events for Hispanic Heritage Month, check out the display outside the American Intercultural Center.

Zachary Gholston, Life Writer
September 19, 2013
Filed under Life

Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates culture, music, dance, education and so much more. UW-Green Bay kicked off this year with the Hispanic Independence Celebration Festival Sept. 15.

Mai Jo Lee, multicultural adviser for the American Intercultural Center, indicated the relevance of this day.

“Hispanic Heritage Month has always been on Sept. 15,” Lee said. “The reason why it’s a mid-month celebration is because of the Latino independence festival.”

The festival itself is a combination of food, music and dance celebrating Mexico’s independence. The event was held at Leicht Park in Green Bay.

However, it’s not the only event celebrating the origins and cultures of a vast part of the American population.

Another event celebrating culture is Dia De Los Muertos: Ofrendas and Origins, a celebration honoring the Day of the Dead, which will occur Sept. 23 at 11 a.m.

The Day of the Dead is a tradition that honors the lives of people who have passed away. It not only remembers their lives, but gives loved ones a chance to celebrate their lives and memories.

Participants will learn about this day of remembrance through a hands-on approach, giving them a chance to craft their own miniature ofrendas, or offerings. These offerings represent the loved ones favorite things in life.

Christina Ortiz, associate professor of humanities, chair of modern languages and coordinator of Spanish, is excited about this year’s Hispanic Heritage Month.

“Like all other heritage months,” Ortiz said, “it’s just to give relevance to a segment of the American population to celebrate their traditions and their history.”

Ortiz encourages her students, as well as others, to attend these events. Ortiz believes it’s a great way to learn and experience a culture first hand.

Danielle Washington, senior communication and Spanish major, agrees.

“It’s a great educational experience,” Washington said, “especially because it’s a very strong Latino population in the United States. It’s time for us all to learn about different peoples that are not only in the world but in the United States.”

The events during Hispanic Heritage Month are intended to bring together music, education and activity.

An event Washington encouraged students to go to is the Correo Ae’reo concert.

“They are going to do music from Mexico, from Argentina and from Venezuela,” Washington said. “It’s going to be really cool, so it’s going to be a really big variety within Latino music that maybe a lot of people might not have heard before. “

Music isn’t the only thing setting the stage during Hispanic Heritage Month. Films such as “Familia Rodante,” “The Cry Film” and “Karen Cries on the Bus” bring together different aspects of Latino culture.

All three films will be shown at the Christie Theater.

“Familia Rodante” is a film about a four-generational family traveling across the Argentinean countryside. It reminds Lee of  “Little Miss Sunshine,” but with a generational feel.

“Karen Cries on the Bus” is about self-discovery and a woman’s struggle to find her independence. This film is scheduled to appear Oct. 9 at 5 p.m.

The final film to conclude Hispanic Heritage Month is “The Cry.” This suspenseful horror film about a Mexican urban legend will leave watchers speechless. “The Cry” appears on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at 5 p.m.

Hispanic Heritage Month has an interesting panel to offer students.  The Latino Superstition Panel, a program that Ortiz highly recommends, is about the interesting and fun facts about Latino superstitions.

The Panel will open up to students Oct. 8 at 3:30 p.m.

For other programs and events going on during Hispanic Heritage Month, contact the American Intercultural Center at 465-2720.