Senior Resource Fair and Reception caters to grads

seniors

Fourth Estate File Photo

Students line up to receive caps, gowns and other commencement information at last year’s Senior Resource Fair.

Nicole Penke , LIfe Writer
November 14, 2013
Filed under Life, Top Stories

Between commencement, caps, gowns, student loans and future plans graduation can be hectic. The Senior Resource Fair held Nov. 13 provided students with a one stop shop for graduation needs.

The biannual event was designed to help them with everything from commencement preparation to job search resources. The fair is offered once in December and again in May.

A six-member committee made up of representatives selected from campus organizations hosted the event.

Potential fall graduates attended The Senior Resource Fair and Reception on Nov. 13 in the University Union Phoenix rooms. Sheila Carter, program coordinator for Student Life, shared in the excitement.

“It’s one-stop shopping for potential graduates to get everything for commencement,” Carter said.

The fair is the beginning of the celebration for many graduating students. Carter wants graduates to feel like its a celebration and not just information.

Graduates had the chance to write memories on sheets on table and take pictures with Phlash.

The fair was an open room with at least 12 booths to visit to complete graduate participation for commencement and receive complementary items.

The Office of the Provost had  information to register for commencement and pick up graduation tickets, which included additional information on how to get more than the standard four tickets.

At the fair, graduates purchased caps, gowns and diploma frames in the bookstore, and the Jostens area gave information to order class rings as a memento to the years spent at UW-Green Bay.

At the International Studies area, graduates could get a free stole to signify their international studies experience. The Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Eta Sigma honor societies had honor cords to signify membership.

The Alumni Association and Advancement area handed out information for graduates to learn about their free Alumni Association membership, upcoming Alumni Association events and the class of 2013 senior gift.

Empire Photography took a free formal photo, and students were able to order a photo package.

Mary Kay Cosmetics discussed creating a professional image to help the graduates look their best at commencement and interviews.

Aside from preparing for commencement, graduates can gain helpful information on future plans and student loans.

Graduating students will have to choose between looking for a new job or applying for graduate studies.

The Career Services and graduate studies area had resources to help students with their job search as well as information to help graduates apply for graduate study programs to continue their education, and students could set appointments for more detailed meetings.

Many graduates will leave their parents’ health care coverage soon after graduation and will need to find new health care, so the Common Ground Healthcare cooperative had information for students about how the Affordable Care Act will impact them.

Liberty Mutual had important information on renter’s and auto insurance.

Another financial topic was student loans. The University Credit Union had information to help students create a plan to repay student loans and establish credit.

Students who missed the event can email commencement@uwgb.edu for information.

Future students and potential graduates may also find important dates and deadlines with other critical information at www.uwgb.edu/commencement.