Group petitions against Citizens United ruling

Megan Hanna, Editor-in-Chief
March 25, 2014
Filed under Life

Green Bay Move to Amend is mobilizing the Green Bay community to reject the Supreme Court’s Citizens United ruling, and is seeking student volunteers.

Move to Amend wants to see limits on the money spent on political campaigns, in particular by large corporations.

“We want a level playing field for people running for office,” said Joan Swigert, a volunteer with Green Bay Move to Amend.

According to Betty Kossik, another volunteer, Green Bay Move to Amend hopes to collect 6,000 signatures during April and May. A resolution would then appear on the November ballot declaring corporations should not have the same rights as people. The results of the vote could encourage state legislators to take a stand on the issue.

Move to Amend will be collecting signatures at polling stations April 1 — including UWGB — but will first hold a training session March 29 at 3 p.m. at Kaleidoscope Eatery and Spirits. Kossik and Swigert hope UW-Green Bay students will attend to learn more about the issue.

Swigert said she understands that students are busy with classes so they might not have time to pay a lot of attention to the issue, but she thinks it’s important for them to educate themselves.

“Awareness is really important,” Swigert said. “Young people are going to be affected.”

Kossik said Move to Amend is nonpartisan. She has been working with people from different backgrounds such as Quakers, Unitarians and members of the Green Party, and would like to get students involved as well.

Kossik said those signing Green Bay Move to Amend’s petition must be Green Bay residents and this includes residents on campus. Signature collectors do not need to be Green Bay residents.

For more information, visit www.movetoamend.org or www.wimta.org.

To volunteer, contact Kossik at bkossikgbmta@gmail.com or (920) 468-8845. A kick-off event will follow the training March 29.