State of the University Address

Heba Mohammad, SGA President
December 12, 2012
Filed under News

The fall 2012 semester is quickly coming to a close. As we scramble to prepare for finals and say our final goodbyes to the December graduates, it is important to reflect on what happened this semester. Student Government Association has been working hard on behalf of the student body to ensure our voices are consistently heard. To that end, we want you all to be aware of what we have been doing for you.

In Student Government, our No. 1 goal for the year is to be fully engaged in shared governance and responsibilities throughout the university. Fulfilling this goal requires our members to be dedicated and attend meetings in order to report back to the student senate about important issues affecting students.

SGA members attend committee meetings on a regular basis. These include the Academic Affairs Council, the Chancellor’s Committee on Diversity and Inclusive Excellence, the Kress Advisory Council, the University Committee, the Sustainability Committee, the Legislative Affairs Council and a number of others.

Via the Segregated University Fees Allocation Committee, SGA worked closely with administration to plan an appropriate budget with student segregated fees for the 2013-14 academic year.

Through these commitments, we hope to keep an eye on anything impacting students, like the reforms to general education and the UW-System-supported Flexible Degree Program. Representing the student voice in university affairs that affect students is a priority in SGA, and we hope to keep on doing so in the future.

Also on the SGA plate are a number of projects led by our chairs. Several SGA members were involved in the planning of the outdoor multipurpose space, which will create an important center of activity on campus in the near future. Applications for the SGA Sustainability Fund were collected and are now being looked over. The fund was created students decided they would like to see more sustainable projects occur on campus in a referendum.

In November, SGA encouraged student voting through candidate forums, voter registration drives and poster campaigns. The result was close to an 80 percent voter turnout from on-campus students.

SGA is also continuing the push for an on-campus childcare center. Currently, administrators are trying to schedule a campus visit with a childcare consultant whom can help direct our campus in the best direction for this center.

Other projects in Student Government include the development of an ice rink, assisting in the planning of multicultural events on campus, a student security program, revising the U-Pass Agreement with Green Bay Metro and looking at campus dining options.

Overall, our university has experienced an exceptional semester. The Cofrin Library was named Wisconsin Library of the Year, and a UW-Green Bay professor, Gregory Aldrete, was named Wisconsin Professor of the Year. Recognition was bestowed on a number of other programs and educators as well. In addition, UWGB rolled out its long anticipated branding campaign, 360º of Learning, in mid-November. Student Government is hopeful next semester will feature just as many applause-worthy moments.

We extend an invitation to all students to join our student senate and get involved in the projects that deserve applause. We will continue to work for the best interests of the student body and hope to hear from you more — our door is always open. Visit us in University Union 151, or contact SGA via mohahn25@uwgb.edu. Until next semester, best of luck on your finals, and congratulations to all the December graduates.