Business Week returns to UWGB

James Taylor, News Writer
Filed under News, Top Stories

The third annual Business Week is in full swing as UW-Green Bay students and local business leaders participate in a variety of events designed to develop professional skills.

UWGB’s Austin E. Cofrin School of Business and Career Services hosted the weeklong events.

Larry McGregor, UWGB lecturer of management, is certain the activities will enhance students’ professionalism. Networking opportunities will be important during this week’s events.

“Out-of-classroom learning experiences are crucial, and students will have plenty of opportunity for it this week,” McGregor said. “But interacting with local business leaders can be equally important, particularly for students graduating soon.”

This week’s events started at 12 p.m. Feb. 25 with a segment called “Nuts and Bolts of Professionalism. This included a panel of recent graduates describing their experience searching for jobs and what employers expect from recent college graduates and as well as fielding questions from attendees.

The event Feb. 26 gave students the opportunity to create a 60 second video known as an elevator pitch. An elevator pitch is a 30 to 60 second presentation designed to offer potential employers the basis of someone’s skill set. The time frame represents the amount of time people would potentially be in an elevator together, McGregor said.

The annual Spring Job and Internship Fair was held Feb. 27 from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Phoenix Rooms. More than 70 local and regional employers attended, and several held onsite interviews for students interested in employment.

An event known as “Don’t Be That Candidate” includes an employer panel and is taking place Feb. 28. From 12:30 to 2 p.m., local employers will describe their worst interviewees and what not to do during an interview. The panel will field questions and also describe the most important ways a candidate can stand out in a crowd.

An invitation-only keynote address will serve as Business Week’s culminating event 4:30 to 7 p.m. Mar. 1.

Betsy Mitchell, retired vice president of organizational development with the Green Bay Packers, will speak about several topics at the Weidner Center for the Performing Arts.

Mitchell will offer insight into networking, non-linear thinking and risk taking as well as Business Week’s theme “Creativity, Innovation and Vision.”

“My address to everyone will be about how important it is that students apply what they have learned during the week,” Mitchell said.

Business Week’s theme is intended to inspire students and business leaders to engage in broader thinking, embrace calculated risk and to come to an understanding that vision, within the context of business, is often fluid, Mitchell said.

“Creativity can be as simple as describing things from a different perspective,” Mitchell said. “Broader thinking is important, too, because you won’t limit yourself – strategic and broad thinking rather than narrow.”

McGregor and Mitchell note the networking opportunities for students and local business leaders are key during Business Week. Each event will allow students to rub elbows with employers and for some students, which may be the needed edge.

“If there are 20 people trying to get the same job and you have already met someone from the company you’re interviewing at,” McGregor said, “You might be put to the top of the list just because of the personal connection you have already developed there.”

The keynote address by Mitchell will wrap up the primary events for Business Week,. However, two more are scheduled for next week. At 11:40 a.m. Mar. 4 in Phoenix Room B “Dine Like a Professional Etiquette Lunch” will be held. And from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Mar. 7 in the Phoenix Rooms a “Mock Interview Day” will serve as the final event of Business Week.

Business Week’s theme serves as the central message and Mitchell believes vision will be an important aspect of a successful professional.

Mock interviews, internship fair and other career-exploration activities are vital aspects of Business Week. But the underlying opportunity for students and local buiness owners to become acquainted could be the highlight of the week.

“So much is constantly changing in business, it’s very fluid,” Mitchell said. “Along your professional journey you can get a fresh viewpoint while remaining open to the changing environment.”