Devices stolen from campus library, labs

Andrew Campnell , News Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under News

Public Safety has recently reported a number of cases involving theft in the computer areas on campus.

Thomas Kujawa, UW-Green Bay chief of police, said the two main areas have been the GAC Lab and the library.

However, there are other areas Public Safety is concerned with in regards to theft.

Of the possibly three or four thefts that have occurred, the items stolen have primarily been either keyboards or mouse devices, Kujawa said.

There was an attempt to steal a computer in which the cable to the computer was to be cut, removing the computer.

A possible reason these items were stolen is they’re smaller and easier to conceal, Kujawa said, so people might not be as suspicious.

“Basically, it’s a quick, ‘snatch-and-go’ situation right now,” Kujawa said.

Stealing computer components comes at a cost to the university.

If anything is stolen, it has to be replaced and that money comes from the university.

Kujawa said because of that, the money that could’ve been used for other things is being used to replace stolen equipment.

“The university has a budget,” Kujawa said. “We don’t want to have you spend unnecessary money replacing things.”

Kujawa said although theft is one of their biggest problems on campus, that problem is still rather small.

A possible reason for this is the collective awareness of the people on the UWGB campus, Kujawa said.

“I think we have a really positive campus here,” Kujawa said. “People are taking care of each other and keeping an eye on each other’s stuff.”

Kujawa also cites UWGB’s location as a possible reason why theft isn’t so common on campus.

Since the university is an enclosed campus away from the city, getting here would require driving or taking the bus.

Kujawa compared UWGB’s situation to other UW-System universities, where their campuses can be spread throughout the city and people could walk through the campuses without realizing it. Overall, Kujawa feels UWGB’s location lowers crime on campus

To help prevent theft, Kujawa warns students not to leave their possessions unattended and to be aware of the people around them.

Kujawa also said he suggests students write down the serial numbers of their possessions. That way if something happens to those items, Public Safety can identify them.

Sarah Jarocki, junior French

major, said she never leaves any of her belongings lying around.

“I always carry my books and my wallet on my person,” Jarocki said.

Jarocki said she would suggest the same method to other students, although it depends on the student and how comfortable he or she feels in various situations.

As well as carrying their belongings with them, Jarocki suggests students leave their possessions with their friends if they had to.

“Even if you had to run out for a minute and if you were at the library and you leave it at the front desk, I think that’d be fine,” Jarocki said.

Anyone who has information regarding the thefts on campus should contact Public Safety at 920-465-2300 or publicsafety@uwgb.edu.

People can also contact the Green Bay area Crime Stoppers hotline at 432-7867. Rewards can be given through Crime Stoppers and those who call can remain anonymous if they wish.