Oscar nominations shock local student

Colton West, Off the Wall Writer
January 30, 2013
Filed under Off the Wall

Nathan Grueyer, a Preble High School Senior, was reportedly shocked by the 85th Academy Award Nominations. The teen, who reportedly favored “Dredd 3-D” this award season, was surprised to find that not only had he not seen a majority of the nominees, but that he hadn’t heard of many of them either.

“I know ‘Life of Pi’ is that movie about the tiger,” Gruyere said. “We were supposed to read that book last semester. Spark Noted it. But what is ‘Les Miserables?’”

Grueyer said that he had no clue what a majority of the films nominated were about.

According to the teen, the French film “Amour” was most likely “a chick flick, probably starring Channing Tatum,” while he theorized that “Zero Dark Thirty,” which focuses on the manhunt and eventual raid on Osama Bin Laden, was “probably a science fiction movie about aliens, y’know, like ‘District 9’ was.”

Not only was “Dredd 3-D” snubbed, but Grueyer found his other contenders for film of the year absent from the nominations as well. “The Hunger Games,” “The Amazing Spiderman,” “Project X,” “21 Jump Street,” “The Expendables 2” and “The Avengers” were all absent from the ceremony.

“I just can’t believe it,” said Grueyer, “‘The Avengers’ was amazing. I mean, did you see Scarlett Johansson’s ass in that movie?”

Grueyer still plans on watching the 85th Academy Awards when they air Feb. 23.

“It’s all anyone at school will be talking about the next day,” Grueyer cited as his rationale. “It’s the same reason I watch ‘Gossip Girl.’”