Phoenix push past Indianapolis Greyhounds

Dan Turczynski, Sports Writer
December 4, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

The Green Bay Phoenix women’s basketball team took on the Division II University of Indianapolis Greyhounds in a non-conference game Nov. 30 at the Kress Events Center. The Phoenix (5-1) was able to knock off the Greyhounds (4-1), 64-52 en route to its fifth victory in six games.

The Greyhounds got out to a quick 14-7 lead in the first six minutes of the game. After some stifling team defense and timely offense, the Phoenix went on a run of its own, which cut the Greyhound lead to 18-16.

The Phoenix tied the game at 23 after senior guard Adrian Ritchie rebounded a teammate’s miss and was able to put it in for a bucket. Ritchie came back a few minutes later and drained a deep three, giving the Phoenix a 26-24 lead.

Green Bay began to pull away from the Greyhounds after redshirt junior forward Breannah Ranger converted on a lay-up, assisted by Ritchie, to give the Phoenix its lead, 31-24.

Green Bay would close out the first half on a 18-7 run followed by a lay-up from senior forward Stephanie Sension, which gave the Phoenix an eventual 37-30 halftime lead. The first half was well balanced for the Phoenix on the offensive end with four players scoring more than eight points.

In the second half, the Greyhounds continued to hang tough with the Phoenix. Both teams failed to score until the Phoenix converted on a lay-up from senior forward Lydia Bauer, assisted by Ritchie, giving the Phoenix an early second half lead of 39-30.

The Phoenix followed a timeout with an immediate bucket from senior forward Sarah Eichler, giving the Phoenix its largest lead of the game at 41-30.

The Phoenix was able to grab a 45-32 lead midway through the second half and the game appeared to be getting away from the Greyhounds. However, the Greyhounds managed to hang around, going on a quick 8-0 run to cut the Phoenix lead to 45-40 with less than 10 minuets to play. The Phoenix would extend its lead to 55-44 on a lay-up from Bauer and would eventually put the game away on a Ritchie three, with 1:35 left in the game.

Green Bay senior guard Adrian Ritchie would hit another milestone in her career as she added her name to Green Bay’s 1,000-point club. Ritchie scored her 1,000th point on a 12-foot jump shot with 3:45 left in the first half.

“It was something I had hoped I would accomplish someday and for today to be that day, it feels good,” Ritchie said.

Green Bay head coach Kevin Borseth said, “Adrian works hard, I don’t know if I’ve had a player that works harder than she does.”

Ritchie is the 30th player in the program’s history to join the 1,000-point club.

“Adrian is a very confident person and that is so important to our team,” senior forward Stephanie Sension said. “We rely on her to make baskets and that’s something she should be proud of.”

The Phoenix was led by Lydia Bauer, who added 18 points, five rebounds and two assists.

Ritchie also poured in 16 points, seven assists and four rebounds.

Sension added 13 points and eight rebounds, while sophomore guard Megan Lukan added eight points, four assists and three rebounds.

The Phoenix beat the Greyhounds at the boards 39-31 and outhustled them, gaining a 19-9 advantage on second-chance points.