A look back on college bowl games

Jonathon Zenk, Sports Writer
January 30, 2013
Filed under Sports

BCS National Championship:Alabama 42,

Notre Dame 14

Alabama scored the first 35 points of the game as the Crimson Tide routed previously undefeated Notre Dame in the BCS National Championship Game 42-14.  Running backs Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon each rushed for more than 100 yards and quarterback A.J. McCarron tossed four touchdowns in the victory. It was Alabama’s second consecutive national championship and third in four years. It is also the seventh consecutive national championship won by the Southeastern Conference.

Fiesta Bowl: Oregon 35, Kansas State 17

In the Fiesta Bowl, Oregon struck quickly on a 94-yard kickoff return by speedster De’Anthony Thomas for a quick 8-0 lead. Kansas State let a chance to potentially take the lead at the end of the first half slip through its fingers as the Wildcats was held to a field goal attempt but missed. The Ducks then traveled 77 yards in 46 seconds, culminating with a Kenjon Barner touchdown catch to make it 22-10 at the half. In head coach Chip Kelly’s final game at Oregon, Barner rushed for 143 yards on 30 carries and got a touchdown catch.

Rose Bowl: Stanford 20, Wisconsin 14

In an old-fashioned smash mouth game, Stanford held off a late Wisconsin threat as cornerback Usua Amanam intercepted a Curt Phillips pass with less than two and a half minutes remaining to seal the win. Stanford stormed out to a 14-0 lead, but the Badgers battled back to cut the deficit to 17-14 at the half. The defenses ruled in the second half with three points scored. Quarterback Kevin Hogan threw for 123 yards and ran for another 54, and running back Stepfan Taylor ran for 88 and a touchdown to lead the way. Wisconsin’s Montee Ball rushed for 100 yards and his NCAA record-leading 83rd touchdown in the loss.

Sugar Bowl: Louisville 33, Florida 23

Louisville upset the Florida Gators in upset fashion in the Sugar Bowl. The Cardinals’ Terell Floyd intercepted the first pass of the game and returned it for a score, and Louisville never looked back. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater threw for 266 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Cardinals. Louisville’s defense shut down Florida and held its offense to less than 200 yards well into the final quarter.

Orange Bowl: Florida State 31, Northern Illinois 10

Northern Illinois was outclassed without the speed to match up with the ACC winner. The Huskies kept it close well into the third quarter, but with the score 17-10, Jordan Lynch was intercepted in the red zone, and Northern Illinois didn’t threaten again. The Northern Illinois offense was held to 259 yards, and Florida State running back Lonnie Pryor rushed for 134 yards on five carries to lead the attack. Playing in his last collegiate game, quarterback E.J. Manuel threw for 291 yards and a touchdown and ran for another score.

Cotton Bowl: Texas A&M 41, Oklahoma 13

Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel didn’t disappoint in his first bowl game, accounting for 516 total yards and four touchdowns, including 229 yards and two scores on the ground. With a score at the end of the half, Oklahoma cut the deficit to 14-13. But in the second half, it was all Texas A&M, scoring on four of its first five possessions in the second half to put the game away. For Oklahoma, quarterback Landry Fields passed for 278 yards and a score in his final game at Oklahoma.

Capital One Bowl: Georgia 45, Nebraska 31

Georgia used big plays in the second half to prevail after being left on the doorstep of the National Championship Game. Quarterback Aaron Murray rebounded from the loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game to throw for 427 yards and five touchdowns, including an 87-yard strike to Chris Conley late in the game to put the game out of Nebraska’s reach. Running back Todd Gurley also was also a factor in the game, rushing for 125 yards and a touchdown.

Chick-fil-A Bowl: Clemson 25, LSU 24

In another SEC upset, the Clemson Tigers scored 12 points in the final quarter to shock the LSU Tigers 25-24, ending on a 37-yard field goal by Chandler Catanzaro. Facing a fourth-and-16 and needing to pick up the first down, quarterback Tajh Boyd found DeAndre Hopkins for 26 yards on the final drive to keep the game alive. Boyd threw for 346 yards and two touchdowns in the upset. Hopkins — Boyd’s favorite receiver — hauled in 13 passes for 191 yards and two scores. Clemson outgained LSU 445-219.

Outback Bowl: South Carolina 33, Michigan 28

Needing a field goal to win the game, South Carolina quarterback Connor Shaw went for more and hooked up with wide receiver Bruce Ellington, who broke open for the game-winning 32-yard touchdown with 11 seconds left. It was a back and forth final quarter as Michigan’s Jeremy Gallon hauled in a touchdown to put Michigan in front with less than four minutes remaining. With Michigan leading 22-21, a controversial spot on fourth down gave the Wolverines a first down. But in one of the highlight plays of the season, star defensive end Jadeveon Clowney drilled Michigan’s Vincent Smith in the backfield, who lost his helmet and the ball. The Gamecocks recovered and scored a touchdown on its next possession.

Alamo Bowl: Texas 31, Oregon State 27

Down 27-17 in the fourth quarter, Texas sophomore quarterback David Ash threw two fourth quarter touchdown strikes to give the Longhorns a 31-27 victory. Ash threw for 241 yards overall and two scores and ran in another. For Oregon State, freshman running back Storm Woods ran for his second most yards ever with 118 and two touchdowns. But the Beavers quarterback Cody Vaz turned the ball over three times, which proved to be one of the deciding factors in the loss to the Longhorns.