Phoenix bruise way past Huskies

Alec Dopp, Sports Writer
September 19, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

While the Green Bay Phoenix women’s soccer team has completed just one month’s worth of regular-season games to this point, two of the team’s featured talents weren’t afraid to admit they’re exhausted.

Following the Phoenix’s 1-0 victory over the Huskies of Northern Illinois at Aldo Santaga Stadium Friday, Sept. 13, sophomore midfielder Justy Linton–scorer of the game’s lone goal–and senior forward Hekla Palmadottir both spoke on behalf of their team’s fatigue.

“We had a hard game on Wednesday, and I think we were a little tired,” Linton said in reference to Green Bay’s double-overtime 0-0 tie against DePaul last week.

“This is our fourth game in eight days, so our legs are pretty tired,” Palmadottir said.

The team didn’t let it show in the game’s box score, however.

In the span of 90 minutes, the Phoenix had 11 shots compared to the Huskies’ four. The team matched Northern Illinois with three corner kicks and held them  to zero shots on goal compared to Green Bay’s five.

But missed opportunities to break the game open deep in the opponent’s territory kept the Huskies within range of potentially tying the game.

From the moment the game began, Green Bay’s tired legs failed to convert on a number of opportunities to take the lead from Northern Illinois.

Sophomore forward Heidi Hartmann opened things up with a header on goal 1:30 into the game but was unable to convert.

Junior forward Emily Friedl notched the Phoenix’s next shot at 3:53, but it was blocked before reaching the back of the net.

Another attempt by Hartmann at the 26:02 mark sailed high over the cross bar. By that point, it seemed the Phoenix were in the midst of a hard-fought battle with the Huskies.

It wasn’t long after Hartmann’s second attempt that Green Bay finally got on the board.

After a corner-kick from junior midfielder Chandra Eigenberger and subsequent header shot on goal from fellow junior midfielder Abby Juzwik, the Phoenix was granted another corner kick from the same spot following the out-of-bounds play from Huskies goalie Amy Carr.

Eigenberger sent a shot near the net, which was then headed by freshman defender Katie Schultz and kicked in by Linton in minute 43 — her first goal of the season.

“We put Justy on the goalkeeper just to be kind of a big nuisance in there,” said Phoenix head coach Trevor Warren. “A lot of teams leave her unmarked. It’s just how it’s designed for her to be in the right place at the right time.”

Her goal would prove to be the difference in the game, as neither team would find the back of the net in the second half.

“It was awesome to score my first goal,” Linton said. “I scored my first goal of the year against Minnesota in the same position, so that was nice. Katie did an awesome job getting the ball back across the net, and I was just there at the right time.”

The Phoenix has a week remaining before its conference schedule begins with a home match against Oakland September 27 at Aldo Santaga Stadium. Between now and then, Warren said, his team needs to work on finding the back of the net.

“We’re creating more opportunities and getting off shots, but we need to get them in the net and on target,” Warren said. “I think we had a chance pretty early in the second half where we could have had that second goal. Having that makes things a lot easier. Goals change games.”