Athletes phlash season’s gold

sports

Fourth Estate file photo

Keifer Sykes dunks in the game against the Badgers at the Resch Center on Nov. 16. Sykes was recognized for his accomplischments this year at the inaugural Golden Phlashes along with other Phoenix athletes.

Marques Eversoll , Sports Editor
May 6, 2014
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

UW-Green Bay competes in eight sports that hand out regular season trophies. The Phoenix won four of the eight titles in 2013-14.

On May 4, Green Bay Athletics and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee hosted the inaugural Golden Phlashes honoring the accomplishments of Green Bay student-athletes this season.

Junior Keifer Sykes, point guard for the men’s basketball team, took home the most hardware with four Phlash awards.

Sykes won awards for the Best Male Athlete and Play of the Year, and the men’s basketball program tabbed him as Team MVP and gave him the Strength and Conditioning Award.

He averaged a team-high 20.3 points per game to go along with a team-leading 4.9 assists and 4.4 rebounds.

His junior campaign vaulted his name into the national spotlight in leading the men’s basketball program to its first regular season Horizon League championship since the 1995-96 season.

Sykes’ Play of the Year was a high-flying dunk against UIC that landed him on SportsCenter’s Top 10 Plays on ESPN.

Junior Josh Humphrey won the Coaches Award and junior Greg Mays took home the Most Improved Award.

Parker Wolf, a senior on the women’s swimming and diving team, took home the first Female Athlete of the Year award. Wolf ended her Phoenix career by winning Horizon League Women’s Swimmer of the Week twice, taking home the honors Oct. 29 and Jan. 14.

The men’s basketball team was nominated nine times, the most of any sport, while men’s tennis and women’s basketball were each nominated for seven awards. The women’s swimming and diving program and volleyball team were each nominated in five categories.

Matt Menzl, the play-by-play announcer for the men’s basketball team, emceed for the ceremony.

Howard Scott, a junior on the men’s tennis team, and Taylor Kasal, a junior on the volleyball team, hosted the Green Carpet Preshow and conducted interviews with several nominees and presenters.

At the beginning of the night, each of the Phoenix’s 16 athletics programs handed out Golden Phlash awards for Team MVP, Most Improved and the Coaches Award. The coaches also handed out awards for Strength and Conditioning, Athletic Training, the Faculty Athletes Representative Award, Team GPA and the Community Service Award.

At the end of the night, the Golden Phlashes voting awards were distributed. Phoenix student-athletes voted on their peers from a list of nominees. Each program submitted a ballot and was able to vote twice per award. Votes could be split up between two nominees or both votes could go to the same nominee.

The women’s basketball team, which lost in the first round of the N.I.T. to the University of Minnesota, handed out its Team MVP to senior forward Bre Ranger.

Fellow senior Sam Zastrow took home the Most Improved Award and junior Megan Lukan earned the Coaches Award.

The Golden Phlashes also featured several lighthearted awards, including the Video Bio of the Year, which went to junior swimmer Evan Miller, who will return next season to build off a successful 2013-14 campaign.

It was a memorable run for the Green Bay athletics programs, and the Phoenix will look to remain flying above its Horizon League competition in 2014-15 and beyond.