Board of Regents’ pay and tuition rises

Bobby joe magers jr. , Opinion Writer
October 31, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Congratulations are in order for the UW System’s Board of Regents for their recent pay raises. In a time where some UW students work two jobs, borrow government loans and commute from their parents’ houses just to afford a UW education, it’s good to know our tuition money will be raised again to support these important people.

On Oct. 10, the Regents Finance Committee approved expanding pay scales for certain top UW Regent positions, according to the Associated Press. The new pay scale will allow the UW head honchos the license to offer substantial pay raises for new hires, the Associated Press said.

State Rep. Steve Nass of Whitewater blasted the UW Regents for being out of touch and fiscally irresponsible for approving the new pay scale, the Associated Press said.

Being out of touch is an understatement. Gov. Scott Walker visited UW-Green Bay to tout his two-year tuition freeze for the UW system June 4.

“Tuition at four-year institutions in the UW System has increased by at least 5.5 percent every year since 2001, far surpassing the rate of inflation,” Walker said, according to Fox6now.com writer Katie DeLong.

The tuition freeze, however, does nothing to save UWGB students any money. Between pricy food options on campus, enormous book fees and expensive room and board, UWGB and now the UW Regents, will always find a way to stick it to the students who are the only people on campus with good intentions.

Almost immediately after Walker’s announcement on the tuition freeze, UWGB announced raises in student fees and room and board, according to UWGB’s Inside. The UW System will make its money back somehow.

“The increases mean UW-Green Bay students will pay about $28 more in fees and $250 more for housing and meals in 2013-14, according to figures provided by the UW System,” according to UWGB’s Inside. “The changes accompany the UW tuition freeze written into the state biennial budget.”

What purpose does a higher education serve if the recipients will spend the majority of their adult lives paying off the costs?

Here are some ideas on how to reel in the stupidity surrounding tuition increases, or freezes, and the ever-increasing expenses affiliated with trying to get ahead.

First, when charging $7 for a sandwich, make it at least as big as the competitor down the street. They charge $5.

Second, let the students who have to endure this weekly grind of homework, group projects, two-hour lectures and PB-and-J-with ramen diet vote on when the Regents, and anybody else in the system, get raises. The students should have a better consensus of who does or doesn’t deserve raises.

Further, what’s with the obsessive reliance on group projects at this school?

There has to be some resentment among the student body paying this huge sum of money for an education that seemingly is 50 percent self-taught.

If a majority of the work is going to be done in a group setting, knock off a thousand bucks from the tuition or bring in real professors with doctorate degrees that will bring prestige to this campus and get rid of the non-qualified lecturers that couldn’t teach their way out of a paper bag.

Lastly, quit thinking students are dumb. Most with any brains know Walker’s attempt to make it look like he did the student body a favor is a smoke-screen to turn the focus away from his dismal political record.

Further, just because a UW regent never comes to class at UWGB does not dismiss the fact that his or her paycheck is directly attributed to UW tuition. When they get raises, tuition goes up.

Eventually it will take three jobs just to pay for this so-called quality education and the Regents’ salaries.