Stories Written by Hailey Alfred

LIF.407.Jessica5web2

Student org shares love of arts with campus

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
Filed under Life

From the first papier-mache volcano to the last popsicle-stick house, art has a presence in every student’s educational career. Helping to keep this tradition alive at the university level is UW-Green Bay’s student organization Art Agency. Art Agency is comprised of students who actively... (more...)

Orgsmorg.Comm.Makinia3web

OrgSmorg spectacular returns for spring semester

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
January 30, 2013
Filed under Life

Come one, come all to UW-Green Bay’s circus-themed club extravaganza, OrgSmorg. From gaming to geography and everything in between, there are organizations designed to fit everyone’s needs. OrgSmorg will be held in the Phoenix rooms Feb. 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. OrgSmorg is just as the... (more...)

Apologies_1_smweb

David Ramirez shares music, soul with UWGB

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
December 12, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

“I’m a wandering man, got no money in the bank, got no wife at home watching children.” Singer David Ramirez is every bit the wandering man he describes in his lyrics. A free-spirit, Ramirez shares his music with the world. His most recent travels found him at Common Grounds Coffeehouse... (more...)

batman.makinia9web

The Caped Crusader is unmasked at Resch Center

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
December 4, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Pow! Zoink! Blam! Batman is taking action in a whole new way. Vigilante, the Dark Knight, hero and menace are descriptive words for the famous DC Comics character Batman. Batman was originally created by Bob Kane in 1939 in response to DC comics’ search for more heroes like Superman. Kane... (more...)

Journey.Makinia9web

Journey, Benatar, Loverboy rock Resch

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
November 27, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

The ‘80s are known for three things: skin-tight leather, crazy hair and rock music. During this period in history, the U.S. saw the beginnings of many musical legends, including Michael Jackson, Madonna and Journey.  Carrying on its tradition of classic rock music, Journey, joined by Pat... (more...)

Fiddler Drinking-1web

‘Fiddler on the Roof’ stomps to Weidner Center

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
November 14, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

The Weidner Center for the Performing Arts is known for its tradition of bringing large- scale Broadway productions to UW-Green Bay’s campus. Keeping this tradition, the Weidner Center will be hosting “Fiddler on the Roof” Nov. 17 at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Rush tickets are available for students... (more...)

Bras Across the Fox supports breast cancer research

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
November 7, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Like other undergarments, bras are usually hidden from public view. They are not an item typically brought up in conversation, and when they are talked about it’s  in private. However, in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, 95.9 KISS FM broke this social norm by hosting Bras Across the... (more...)

Moulin_Rougeweb2

“Moulin Rouge-The Ballet” sashays onto stage

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
October 30, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

A mix of passion, betrayal and obsession expressed through  fluid movement and cleverly arranged melodies is presented in “Moulin Rouge – The Ballet,” at the Weidner Center for the Performing Arts Nov. 1. “Moulin Rouge – The Ballet” is a product of Canada’s Royal Winnipeg Ballet... (more...)

moliereweb

‘Moliere Than Thou’ reinvents French plays

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
October 23, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

“Because one loves the glories of the Lord does not suggest his works ought be ignored. We should not put up spiritual fences to hide from the arousal of the senses.” Tim Mooney’s one-man play features cleverly reinvented lines from French playwright Moliere. Mooney’s “Moliere Than... (more...)

Chocofestweb

UWGB Chocolate Fest saves all sweet teeth

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
October 17, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Charlie may have been excited to get one golden ticket, but UW-Green Bay students and staff were even more elated to receive seven. Tickets were traded to taste the chocolate delights at Chocolate Fest Oct. 8 in the University Union. To try the tasty treats, students and staff had to present... (more...)

ingrid

‘Girls and Boys’ welcome Ingrid Michaelson to Green Bay

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
October 9, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

“I’d buy you Rogaine when you start losing all your hair. Sew on patches to all you tear.” This peculiar line is just one of many lyrics that make up the style and sound of Ingrid Michaelson. Michaelson and her current opening act, Sugar & the Hi-Lows, performed at the Meyer Theatre... (more...)

Father's Day gift ideas beyond the basics

New season of ‘Theory’ starts with bang

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
October 9, 2012
Filed under 4Play

What do you get when you put two nerds across the hall from a gorgeous woman? One love-sick physicist and an annoyed, pompous genius. The sixth season of CBS’s “The Big Bang Theory” premiered Sept. 26. Once again we join the nerdy gang of Leonard, Sheldon, Howard and Rajesh as they try... (more...)

Discussing project idea(1)

Max U Day maximized students leadership skills

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
October 2, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

With the elections upon us, our nation is evaluating the abilities of our leaders. What makes a great leader?  Is it their communication skills and ability to collaborate with others? Or their ability to think on their feet? These concepts were explored at Max U Day in UW-Green Bay’s University... (more...)

test

Showcase showdown with ‘The Price is Right, Live!’

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
September 25, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Do you know the cost of a new BMW? How about the price of a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni? Can you calculate what a trip will cost with airfare and lodging included? All of these facts seem like useless information to the average person. However, they are all important things to know if you... (more...)

ZachW3

Zach Wahls is to speak at Green Bay

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
September 18, 2012
Filed under Life, Top Stories

Over the years YouTube has become a spawning ground for careers.  Rebecca Black and Justin Bieber both owe their music careers to the popular video site. YouTube has also become a means of calling together individuals to unite behind a common cause. There is no better example of these two... (more...)

Lewis brings Black humor to Weidner Center

Hailey Alfred, Website Manager
September 11, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Not every comedian can yell at their audience for an entire show and still have them come back for more. However, Lewis Black has enthralled audiences for more than 30 years with his confrontational comedic style. As part of Black’s current tour, “Running on Empty,” he will be performing... (more...)

Birdathon takes flight at wildlife sanctuary

Hailey Alfred, Assistant Entertainment Editor
May 3, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

Wisconsin is home to more than 409 species of birds. Three of these species are endangered and many more are on their way to the list. To help protect one native-Wisconsin bird in particular, the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary will host a Birdathon May 11-12. The Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary... (more...)

Ent.Afterthoughts1.makinia

‘After Thoughts’ reflects on ‘Cabaret’

April 26, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

UW-Green Bay hosted the fourth and final “After Thoughts” of the season entitled “Cabaret: Berlin to Broadway” April 10. The “After Thoughts” series was created this year as a way for women in the Green Bay community to connect with UWGB. Inside, the UWGB news blog, said the series... (more...)

Gallery.Makinia3

Lawton Gallery showcases senior student art

Hailey Alfred , Assistant Entertainment Editor
April 19, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

With the end of the school year approaching, graduation is right around the corner. For some seniors, this means they have a special time to show off their creations as a UW-Green Bay student. Every year, the Lawton Gallery hosts a senior art exhibition to showcase the talents of a few art... (more...)

mike2

Singer inspires with music, message

April 12, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

Meteorologist by day and musician by night, Mike Westendorf turns his performances into musical storytelling. UW-Green Bay students can experience Westendorf’s musical styling April 12 at 7 p.m. in the Common Grounds Coffeehouse. Westendorf said his musical genre varies, depending on if he’s... (more...)