Stories Written by Cheyenne Makinia

hair

Family, friends host benefits in honor of KaNisha

Cheyenne Makinia , Managing Editor/Photography Editor
March 11, 2014
Filed under Life, Top Stories

Every four minutes someone in the U.S. is diagnosed with a blood cancer, according to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. One of the victims of such a diagnosis was UW-Green Bay senior KaNisha Flemming, who passed away Jan. 12 after a short battle with leukemia. Her family, friends and fiancé... (more...)

UWGB gets ActivaTED

Cheyenne Makinia, Managing Editor/Photography Editor
March 11, 2014
Filed under News

In a world where technology and experts are at our fingertips and humans being curious creatures, it comes at no surprise that most people have seen or have at least heard of TED talks. UW-Green Bay is no stranger to the popular talks, especially when it comes to introducing topics to help... (more...)

wwe

WWE takes down Resch

Cheyenne Makinia, Managing Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Whether reliving childhood memories or paying homage to their body-slamming heroes, some UW-Green Bay students watched Monday Night RAW take on the Resch. It was a historic day, Feb. 24, for the WWE Universe as the WWE Network was launched by none other than WWE Hall-of -Famer Hulk Hogan. It’s... (more...)

kanisha

UWGB celebrates life of KaNisha Flemming

Cheyenne Makinia, Managing/Photography Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Life, Top Stories

“Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better? But because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” These are lyrics from “For Good” from the musical “Wicked.” Danielle Kaufert saw “Wicked” for the first time Feb. 23 and while listening to the song instantly thought of... (more...)

GTP issues apology

Cheyenne Makinia , Managing Editor
Filed under News

The “Live Group Sex Therapy! with Dating Coach Daniel Packard,” put on by Good Times Programming Feb. 11 was not what GTP was expecting according to Grant Winslow, GTP advisor. Every spring GTP board members go to The National Association of Campus Activities, or NACA, where 80 percent... (more...)

jovi

Resch wants Bon Jovi dead or alive

Cheyenne Makinia , Photography Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Bon Jovi was welcomed to Green Bay for the first time at the Resch Center Oct. 23 by 9,282 screaming fans on their feet. The next two and a half hours were filled with songs ranging from the band’s dozen albums, including their first album, “Bon Jovi,” to their most recent album, “What... (more...)

all-smiles

MAC coffee cart lady pours on personality

Cheyenne Makinia , Photography Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Life, Top Stories

Just around the corner in Mary Ann Cofrin Hall is one of UW-Green Bay’s hidden gems. Her name is Marie Schmitt, also known as the MAC coffee cart lady. For those who are not familiar with Marie, she welcomes everyone with a big smile and a genuine greeting.  She always asks how you are and... (more...)

sing

Teddy Geiger raises UWGB roof

Cheyenne Makinia, Photography Editor
September 16, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

The sun was almost set, and the second day of classes was almost completed as students gathered on the rooftop of Student Services. Loud cheers, red and blue lights, camera flashes and bugs welcomed Teddy Geiger to the stage for his acoustic set Sept. 4. Geiger, known for “For You I Will... (more...)

warm-bodies-movie-quotesweb

Zombies find love with ‘Warm Bodies’

Cheyenne Makinia, Photography Editor
Filed under 4Play

Dating is hard enough for humans, but the romance between the two main characters in “Warm Bodies” is bizarre. If the post-zombie apocalyptic world still had Facebook, their statuses would be “in a relationship and it’s complicated.” A relationship between a human and a zombie would... (more...)

TSweb

Taylor Swift pines on love and loss with ‘Red’

Cheyenne Makinia, Photography Editor
October 30, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Once again, Taylor Swift has given her fans material for their Facebook statuses. Swift is back with her fourth album, “Red,” which was released Oct. 22. The album consists of 16 songs that will trap listeners in a funnel of emotions, like a mobile spinning in a teenager’s room, with... (more...)

5848345289_c1edd42b83_z

Snow White adaptation falls face down

Cheyenne Makinia, Photography Editor
April 26, 2012
Filed under 4Play Archives

Besides the main character‘s name being Snow White and the notorious evil stepmother, the similarities between the classic fairytale and “Snow White and the Deadly Summer,” ends there. The movie stars Shanley Caswell as Snow White, Maureen McCormick as Eve, the evil stepmother, and Eric... (more...)