Stories Written by Dylan Dobson

Iron_Man_3web

‘Iron Man 3’ delivers on dark superhero action

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
May 8, 2013
Filed under 4Play

“Iron Man 3” begins with protagonist Tony Stark approximating an adage by Oscar Wilde —  “We make our own demons.” It’s apparent that destruction is on the horizon — a terrorist named The Mandarin forces the people of the U.S. to live in fear of random bombings. Stark’s own... (more...)

Paramore returns with massive retrospective

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
May 8, 2013
Filed under 4Play

There’s a sort of irony in the fact that the new album from pop-punk act Paramore is self-titled. Instead of sticking to their signature sound of sharp guitars dominated by the sharper vocals of fiery-headed rock goddess Hayley Williams, the band instead takes listeners on a tour of female-fronted... (more...)

Phoenix rises again on new album ‘Bankrupt!’

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under 4Play

French synth-rock band Phoenix already showed American music fans what it was all about when “Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix” was released stateside — with singles “1901” and “Lisztomania” making the group a household name. With “Bankrupt!,” the band hopes to prove it’s... (more...)

01273257deweb

NBC’s new ‘Hannibal’ cooks up gross thrills

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under 4Play

NBC is hoping viewers ready some fava beans and their favorite Chianti to enjoy its new concept-thriller, “Hannibal,” Thursdays at 9 p.m. The series follows a team of investigators as they attempt to solve bizarre murders. However, little do they know that one of the people involved with... (more...)

mustardplug2010bweb

The Crunchy Frog offers ‘90s throwback

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor/Commentary
April 24, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Despite what the TV series “Portlandia” depicts, the dream of the ‘90s is far from dying. Nostalgia for the bygone era of flannel and Nickelodeon cartoons was alive and well when Mustard Plug brought their signature blend of upbeat ska to The Crunchy Frog April 11. Ska is a musical genre... (more...)

MBR

Rock giants downsize sound on ‘Mosquito’

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 24, 2013
Filed under 4Play

When The Yeah Yeah Yeahs released “Mosquito” April 16, ending a nearly half decade of silence from the group, they may have released the most important album of the band’s prestigious career. The album, which follows their 2009’s “It’s Blitz!,” would be considered an experiment... (more...)

red bull editionweb

Special edition Red Bull re-energizes brand

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under 4Play

It’s no secret that many college students are addicted to caffeine. With energy drinks being a popular method of choice for acquiring the much loved stimulant, and Red Bull being among the most prominent of these drinks, our interest at 4Play was peaked upon hearing of the new special Red,... (more...)

‘Evil Dead’ re-imagines horror classic

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under 4Play

When Sam Raimi produced “The Evil Dead” in 1981, he had no idea how successful it would be. Based on the director’s independent short, “Within the Woods,” the horror movie garnered much success, becoming a cult classic and launching Raimi’s career. Raimi has since gone on to direct... (more...)

TV-GAMEOFTHRONES

War rages in new ‘Game of Thrones’ season

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 10, 2013
Filed under 4Play

Winter has passed for those living in the U.S., but for the characters of HBO’s hit television series “Game of Thrones,” it’s still coming. Fans of the series have hungered like the Stark’s dire wolves for new episodes of the series that blends historical epic with mythical fantasy... (more...)

55th Annual Grammy Awards

Timberlake returns with ‘The 20/20 Experience’

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 10, 2013
Filed under 4Play

They say hindsight is 20/20. Perhaps this is why Justin Timberlake decided to name his newest album, the first since 2006’s “FutureSex/LoveSounds,” “The 20/20 Experience.” The album kicks things off with “Pusher Love Girl,” a summer drug-fueled anthem that starts out feeling a... (more...)

Is Phox the next WI musical success story?

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 3, 2013
Filed under 4Play

Phox is an astounding blend of chamber pop and experimental electronic music. The band’s tracks inspire comparisons to sounds like Kimbra, Amy Winehouse and Alt-J. This reviewer recently had the privilege of experiencing the group’s breathtakingly charming live show when it opened for indie-pop... (more...)

Netflix now offers many Cartoon Network series

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
April 3, 2013
Filed under 4Play

In January, Netflix acquired the rights to stream select series from Cartoon Network, including the network’s Adult Swim block. A slew of new series from the networks were made available March 30. 4Play has you covered with the complete details on these newly available series, as well as... (more...)

Argo

‘Argo’ lives up to Best Picture hype

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
March 27, 2013
Filed under 4Play

The year is 1979. The famous Hollywood sign is in ruin and tensions are high between the U.S. and Iran as a result of the Cold War. As the Iranian Revolution begins, the U.S. embassy in Tehran is left under siege by militants. Although 50 people from the embassy are taken hostage, six manage... (more...)

Oscars

‘Zero Dark Thirty’ lands critical hit on target

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
March 27, 2013
Filed under 4Play

The phrase zero dark thirty refers to the time half-past midnight. According to Kathryn Bigelow, director of the film of the same title as well as “The Hurt Locker,” it also refers to the shroud of darkness the military places over covert operations. This Academy Award-nominated wartime... (more...)

Oscars

‘Beasts of the Southern Wild’ revisits Katrina

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
March 13, 2013
Filed under 4Play

“Beasts of the Southern Wild” follows Hushpuppy, a young girl growing up in the neighborhood of Bathtub. Bathtub is itself a stand-in for an average New Orleans swamp neighborhood, pre-Katrina. Hushpuppy, played by newcomer Quvenzhane Wallis, lives in a shack adjacent to her father’s... (more...)

Girlsweb

HBO’s ‘Girls’ names itself with its fanbase

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
March 6, 2013
Filed under 4Play

“Girls” is the semi-autobiographical drama-comedy written, directed and acted in by Lena Dunham. Dunham earned the attention of “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” creator Judd Apatow with her independent film “Tiny Furniture.” Apatow helped Dunham pitch the series to HBO, which is now airing... (more...)

SONY DSC

The Harlem Shake reaches UWGB

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
Filed under 4Play

The Harlem Shake shook up the Internet this month when a video titled “DO THE HARLEM SHAKE” was uploaded to YouTube. The video features a group of men wearing odd costumes pelvic thrusting to the now-famous track by electronic artist Baauer. “DO THE HARLEM SHAKE,” spawned a copy-cat... (more...)

_MG_6055web

Newspaper editor laments end of satirical section

Dylan Dobson, Off the Wall Editor
Filed under Off the Wall

Would-be journalist and editor for the Off the Wall section of Fourth Estate Dylan Dobson will greatly miss the satirical section when it disappears next week. Dobson, a senior communication major, also edits the entertainment review section of the paper. He inherited editor duties for Off... (more...)

best community photoweb

“Community” celebrates October 19 with new season

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
Filed under 4Play

The fourth season of “Community” was slated to premiere Oct. 19, 2012. Instead, NBC posted a video on their YouTube channel. In the video, the cast of “Community” laments that the network has pushed back the new season, noting that “October 19 isn’t just a date — it’s a state... (more...)

James Purefoy

Is ‘The Following’ a bloody mess?

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
Filed under 4Play

Kevin Williamson, the man behind the hit television series “The Vampire Diaries,” recently shrunk his Bacon number via his new crime thriller on FOX, “The Following.” On the surface, “The Following” seems to be yet another volume in a long line of literary crime thrillers. Like... (more...)

safetyweb

Bring your own weapons

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under 4Play

“WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You’ll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. Safety not Guaranteed.” So goes the classified ad fueling the plot behind the indie romantic comedy film, “Safety Not Guaranteed.”... (more...)

Ke$haweb

Ke$ha rides again

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Fans of glitter and Pabst Blue Ribbon rejoiced Nov. 30 as the world was graced with the new album from Ke$ha, “Warrior.” Critics have often argued against the singer’s credibility as an artist. This is reasonable considering the star’s many antics, including a digital Christmas card... (more...)

originalweb

Nolan’s Batman trilogy comes to triumphant end

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
December 4, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Despite the tragic shooting during its release, “The Dark Knight Rises” has proven to be a successful film for Warner Bros. The film, which grossed $448 million domestically and $603 million internationally, is the second most successful film of 2012. “The Dark Knight Rises” also represents... (more...)

The Rise of K-Pop

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
December 4, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Since debuting on Youtube July 15, 2012, “Gangnam Style” has accumulated more than 800 million views, recently eclipsing Justin Bieber’s video for “Baby.” The popularity of “Gangnam Style” represents the culmination of the growing Korean pop music trend. Korean pop, or... (more...)

LIFE OF PI MOVIE

‘Life of Pi’ captivates moviegoers

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
November 27, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Can one story make you believe in God? “Life of Pi,” puts forth the assumption that, despite its status as fiction, it could be that story. Based on the 2001 novel by Yann Martel, “Life of Pi” has had a turbulent production history. The film faced a revolving door of directors before... (more...)

wreck-it-ralphweb

Disney scores big with ‘Wreck-It Ralph’

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under 4Play

“I am bad, and that’s good. I will never be good, and that’s not bad.” So goes the mantra of the Bad Guys Anonymous group the title character of “Wreck-It-Ralph” attends. This mantra sums up one of the film’s many moral dilemmas about the ambiguity of heroism.  As one of the... (more...)

underemployed_group_shotweb

‘Underemployed’ proves underwhelming

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Following the failure of predecessors “Skins” and “The Hard Times of RJ Berger,” MTV presents “Underemployed.” It is MTV’s hope that its attention deficit viewers will overlook its similarities to the two aforementioned series, and find humor in the way the show addresses the... (more...)

moonrise_kingdom_23web

Anderson’s theatrical campiness continues with ‘Moonrise Kingdom’

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Wes Anderson is known for his pretentious and stylized films that pit dead pan and anachronistic youths against the harsh condition of a society that doesn’t understand them. This motif may annoy the masses, but reviewers have long applauded the director. Anderson’s newest film, “Moonrise... (more...)

Keeping with the times, 4Play examines the best of political hip-hop

Dylan Dobson, 4play Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under 4Play

With election season winding down, I decided to examine some of the most influential names in political hip-hop as well as the albums and tracks that made them famous. Arrested Development Must-hear tracks: “Mr. Wendal,” “People Everyday,” “Lost Soldiers” Rapper Speech and his best... (more...)

UW-Green Bay Student Poll

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 30, 2012
Filed under 4Play

We polled 100 UWGB students on their favorite Halloween flicks. We then decided to compare the films’ Rotten Tomatoes rating to the Fourth Estate’s own rating system. Even though “Hocus Pocus” received a 30 percent on Rotten Tomatoes when it was released, the 1993 family film dominated... (more...)

Horrorweb

‘American Horror Story’ returns with new blood

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 23, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Few shows on TV are as provocative as “American Horror Story,” the second season of which recently premiered on FX. In 2011, “American Horror Story” came on like a chill in an M. Night Shyamalan film, sending shivers down the spines of millions of viewers and shaking up the state of... (more...)

ENTER MOVIE-DARKSHADOWS 2 MCT

Is ‘Dark Shadows’ hauntingly fun or dead on arrival?

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 23, 2012
Filed under 4Play

A few years ago, to coincide with the release of Tim Burton’s adaptation of “Alice in Wonderland,” collegehumor.com produced a skit titled “Tim Burton’s Secret Formula.” In this skit, Burton and his crew desperately try to plan their next film. In the end they decide on some basics.... (more...)

walkingweb

‘The Walking Dead’ returns to life

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under 4Play

One of the few criticisms  thrown in the direction of AMC’s critically acclaimed zombie series, “The Walking Dead,” is that far too little actually occurs during each of its hour-long episodes. For a long time, this accusation has been aimed at the series in the same way its characters... (more...)

sinisterweb

‘Sinister’ offers audiences brooding scares

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Ellison Oswalt, portrayed by a capably nervous Ethan Hawke, has just moved his family into the scene of a grizzly homicide where four members of a family were hanged. The objective? He hopes to repeat the success of his breakthrough hit true-crime novel, “Kentucky Blood.” His quest comes,... (more...)

Video game championship causes controversy

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 9, 2012
Filed under 4Play

This past week, millions watched a certain televised event that divided people the world over. At one point this event claimed 5 percent of all U.S. bandwidth in use. No, this event wasn’t the recent US presidential debate, but a professional gaming event instead. The world championship event... (more...)

PILOT

‘Elementary’ brings Holmes to the 21st Century

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Does the world need another procedural drama based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes novels? CBS is hoping so for the sake of their new series “Elementary” which takes the classic detective Holmes and thrusts him into 21st century society. But what does “Elementary” have... (more...)

Parks_and_Recreation_TV_Series-192506956-large

‘Parks and Rec’ heads to Washington

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under 4Play

NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” is one of those rare sitcoms that is always evolving. Each season brings growth in its characters, and development to Pawnee, the show’s central location, in such a way that the world in which it takes place is alive and thriving. It’s one of the few sitcoms... (more...)

smartcow.makinia4

Smart Cow delivers cool treats with smart packaging

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Since Green Bay’s first Smart Cow Yogurt Bar opened in April this year, it has enjoyed nearly constant business from the surrounding community.  Each day customers hungry for frozen yogurt and toppings come out in hordes to enjoy the chain’s flavors and hip atmosphere. Why call a chain... (more...)

J.J. Abrams’ new show ‘Revolution’ promises intrigue

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under 4Play

A plane crash. A mysterious organization with shady plans. Some possibly superstitious force bending the laws of physics.  One would be correct in linking each of these things to shows previously produced by J.J. Abrams such as “Lost”, “Alcatraz” or “Fringe”—but more recently... (more...)

Bacon3

Common Grounds’ bacon bakery breakthrough

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
September 18, 2012
Filed under 4Play

It seemed to be just another day for Common Grounds Coffeehouse patrons.  However, a new item was lurking beneath the modest coffee shop storefront. Soon, customers were flocking to Facebook and Twitter to express their excitement and concern over this new item.  What could set the social... (more...)

WHO

Mystery and sorrow in new season of Doctor Who

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
September 18, 2012
Filed under 4Play

Do you know what your friends are doing this weekend? If they are fans of the television series “Doctor Who,” they’ve likely already cleared their calendars for the next several Saturdays in anticipation of the series’ new season. “Doctor Who,” now in the seventh season of its second... (more...)

photo-2

Tropical Smoothie Cafe brings cool drinks to Green Bay

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under 4Play

For months I heard the chatter.  When the topic would come up in conversation, I would try my best to avoid it. “Wait. Seriously? You haven’t been there yet?” friends would ask me. “You have to go. Seriously. It’s the best.” “How could a smoothie be worth so much praise?” I... (more...)

“Face Off” offers alternative reality TV option

Dylan Dobson, 4Play Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under 4Play

You step through a door into what looks to be a refurbished warehouse. An array of glaring lights immediately blinds you. As your eyes wrench shut you hear the click of claws against cement. Suddenly you sense all light vanish, and you open your eyes to darkness. You hear guttural snarling,... (more...)