Stories Written by Jared Christman

MG_5669web

FOUL PLAY?

Jared Christman, News Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

UW-Green Bay opened an investigation into the conduct of men’s basketball coach Brian Wardle after receiving two separate complaints from the parents of former players. UWGB Chancellor Thomas Harden received an email April 9 from the parents of freshman center Ryan Bross alleging mistreatment... (more...)

LR PARTNERBONDING MCT

Netflix places bet on ‘House of Cards’

Jared Christman, News Editor
March 6, 2013
Filed under 4Play

Political drama “House of Cards” follows Frank Underwood, a U.S. congressman from South Carolina, who treasures power above all. As House Majority Whip, Underwood’s job is to “clear the pipes and keep the sludge moving.” But as the show opens, Underwood has his sights set on a major... (more...)

Nicolet_Bank_team_winnersweb

Scrabble Bee promotes literacy in Green Bay

Jared Christman, News Editor
Filed under News

Literacy Green Bay will break out the Scrabble tiles to support literacy services in the community with its 11th annual Scrabble Bee Feb. 21. The organization aims to help adults and families improve basic learning skills. Through the Scrabble Bee, Literacy Green Bay raises money to support... (more...)

News-Whooping Cough-Pamperin 6web

Flu season loosens grip on the country

Jared Christman, News Editor
Filed under News, Top Stories

While this year’s flu season appears to be cooling down, health officials are still reminding everyone to take extra care of themselves and their loved ones. According to the Center for Disease Control, the flu season started earlier than normal and was more severe than the last few years. Forty-two... (more...)

Keeping phones free

Local senator aims to ban political robo-calls

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under News

Despite a lingering partisan sentiment in Madison, the state Legislature may soon find something it can agree on. Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, is drafting a plan to end political robo-calls — automated phone messages — in Wisconsin. Hansen said he has received complaints from a number... (more...)

ERMAHGERDweb

‘Erhmagerd Girl’ becomes eulogizer

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
December 12, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Erhmagerd, erts erlergers! Shelly Stepinski — infamously known across the web as the “ermahgerd girl” — has taken up a new profession following her newfound popularity. The 14-year-old girl has become a professional eulogizer. Stepinski warmed the hearts of fans across the world with... (more...)

College graduation rates

UWM unveils flexible degree program

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
December 4, 2012
Filed under News

A first-of-its-kind flexible degree program is coming to UW-Milwaukee. The school will be the first in the UW System, and the country, to offer the program. The program is designed to offer nontraditional students — working adults, military veterans, those who left school early without a... (more...)

Aviandsweb

A’viands to lay off UWGB employees

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
December 4, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Small changes are ahead for A’viands. The food service management company announced plans Nov. 29 to fire all current kitchen employees at UW-Green Bay and replace them with house elves. The news came as a shock to employees, many of whom said they felt betrayed by A’viands. “I’ve been... (more...)

Obama meets with congressional leaders

Fiscal cliff looms as parties remain stalled in talks

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
November 27, 2012
Filed under News

With the 2012 election come and gone, the first order of business on President Obama’s agenda is to find a bipartisan solution to the fiscal cliff crisis. For many Americans, it is difficult to understand politicians, pundits and reporters when they talk about the fiscal cliff. The term “fiscal... (more...)

64th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards

‘Homeland’ shines a new light on terrorism

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
November 27, 2012
Filed under 4Play

From the creators of “24,” “Homeland” successfully portrays America in a modern, post-9/11 world. “Homeland” takes viewers on a psychological roller coaster ride, asking the question, “Is America really safer than it was 11 years ago?” Hailed as one of the best new shows of... (more...)

Twinkieweb

Fat police campaign to save Hostess

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
November 27, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

After news of Hostess’ imminent demise, police officers across the country are scrambling for ways to keep the company from going under. The police union, Foundation  of All Twinkie Consuming Obese Police Stomachs, is working with Hostess to create a new campaign targeting police officers... (more...)

Romneyweb

Romney builds own White House

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Following his defeat in a bid for the White House, Mitt Romney coped with the loss in the only way a Romney can. Only nine days after losing the election, Romney has already built his own White House to live in. Sources say Romney has been planning to build his own version of the historic building... (more...)

Democratic Convention

Women candidates make history on election night

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
November 14, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

President Barack Obama’s re-election may have been the highlight of the night for many Americans, but he was not the only major winner on election night. Women candidates took the electorate by storm, making major gains on all levels of government and leaving their mark on political history 1992... (more...)

Obamaweb2

Election brings victories for Democrats

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

After a long campaign season, Americans finally had their chance to speak Nov. 6, and what they said was loud and clear — Tuesday belonged to the Democrats. Their victory was not an easy ride. It wasn’t overwhelming or unanimous. Yet the Democratic Party emerged victorious against Republicans... (more...)

MBR

USADA destroys more than Armstrong’s legacy

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
November 7, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles Oct. 22. The sport’s governing body’s decision comes after Armstrong refused to contest a recent charge from the United States Anti-Doping Agency stating he allegedly doped throughout his professional career. The claims against... (more...)

hottubsweb

UWGB brings hot tubs to campus

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 30, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

The UW-Green Bay Student Services rooftop patio is set to receive a major makeover when construction on the space is completed The space, located between the University Union, Theatre Hall and the Cofrin Library, has been under construction since earlier in the year. Plans to remodel the patio... (more...)

Hurricane Sandy

Obama, Romney cancel Wisconsin stops in response to Hurricane Sandy

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
October 30, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

With the election less than a week away, both campaigns are racing against the clock to make their final appeal to voters. But one major wrench has been thrown into the game  — a wrench that has the potential to shift the vote altogether. Hurricane Sandy has been pounding the East Coast... (more...)

Disneyweb

Interns accuse Disney World of abuse

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 23, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Despite Walt Disney World’s reputation as one of the happiest places in the world, its interns are sending another message. According to several UW-Green Bay students who were enrolled in the Disney Intern Program, the theme park takes advantage of the labor. Dania Bennett, junior intercontinental... (more...)

Republican Convention in Tampa, Florida

Romney’s wife starts on fire during live TV

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 23, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Following her husband’s recent surge in the polls, Ann Romney, wife of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, is on fire—literally. During a guest stint co-hosting “Good Morning America” Oct. 10, Romney shocked viewers when she was spontaneously engulfed in flames on live TV. Crewmembers... (more...)

Clintonwebtest

Clinton visits UWGB

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
October 23, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

While the weather took a dreary, rainy turn the night of Oct. 19, it was not enough to stop thousands of anxious people from seeing former president Bill Clinton speak at UW-Green Bay. The crowds packed into the east and west gyms of the Kress Events Center to hear Clinton at the “Get Out... (more...)

VOTE 2012: A who’s who in the 2012 election

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under News

As Election Day draws nearer, many are anxious to finally vote. But many people across the nation are still undecided. One reason people do not know whom they are voting for is because they do not know who is running. This article aims to educate the people of Northeastern Wisconsin on candidates... (more...)

Toddlers and Tiaras Television Show

Honey Boo Boo comes to UWGB

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 17, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson of TLC’s “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” and “Toddlers and Tiaras” visited UW-Green Bay during its annual Phuture Phoenix Campus Tour Day Oct. 11. The program aims to get young students excited about college. Throughout the day, the children were able... (more...)

2012 Presidential Debate - DebateFest

Obama suffers defeat at home after first debate

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 9, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

After a less-than-stunning performance at the first presidential debate Oct. 3, President Obama felt the backlash not only from Americans across the nation but at home as well. Sources inside the White House say Obama’s mild-mannered behavior and lack of motivation have taken a toll on the... (more...)

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. HOUSTON TEXANS

Details emerge on replacement referees

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 9, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Millions of Green Bay Packers fans are still fuming over the final call the replacement referees made in the Sept. 24 game against the Seattle Seahawks. While the controversial call may have helped expedite the battle between the referees union and the NFL, new details have emerged on how unqualified... (more...)

testvote2

Youth turnout a concern in election

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
October 9, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

With 26 days until the election, UW-Green Bay students on both sides of the political spectrum are doing everything they can to get their peers to vote. With Wisconsin in play as a battleground state, the stakes are high. Whether registering students to vote, holding debate watch parties or... (more...)

Wisconsin recall

Controversial Budget Repair Bill ruled unconstitutional

Jared Christman, News Writer
October 2, 2012
Filed under News

Gov. Scott Walker survived a historic recall election last June. However, his battle against public unions is not over. Dane County Judge Juan Colas declared Walker’s 2011 Wisconsin Act 10 law unconstitutional in a ruling Sept. 14. Act 10, also known as the Wisconsin Budget Repair Bill, is... (more...)

2012 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony

Queen Elizabeth subject of latest Royal family scandal

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

The British Royal family just can’t catch a break.  Following an embarrassing nude photo scandal involving Prince Harry, and another with Kate Middleton, the Royal family was rocked by some revealing photos yet again – this time of the family matriarch, Queen Elizabeth. The Queen was swimming,... (more...)

SONY DSC

Harden renames all campus buildings

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

It may not take long for UW-Green Bay students to find their way around campus, but learning the names of the campus’s buildings is about to get a lot harder. Chancellor Thomas Harden and the Council of Trustees announced new initiative Oct. 1 to change the names of all the buildings on... (more...)

politics

Ryan visits De Pere ahead of controversy

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under News

Many people took a break from work or school early in the morning Sept. 12 to wait in line outside Cornerstone Community Ice Center in Ashwaubenon. They were there to speak with and show their support for vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan, dressed in a green polo with a Green Bay Packers... (more...)

Heat wave

Green Bay construction part of bigger plan

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

After a city council meeting in Green Bay on Sept. 24, it was revealed that the reason for so much construction at the same time is to piss off drivers. Councilman Sandy Nichols confirmed the rumor at the meeting after protestors bombarded the council. “It’s simple,” Nichols said. “Nobody... (more...)

Chicago teacher strike ends

Chicago students strike for equal rights

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 25, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

The first Chicago teachers’ strike in 25 years has come to an end, however classes will not be resuming any time soon. Chicago students are waging their own war against the school system. In the midst of the teachers’ strike, Chicago students decided to unionize and announced they, too,... (more...)

President Obama Campaigns in Florida

Race to the White House remains close following conventions

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
September 18, 2012
Filed under News

With every election year comes primaries, bus tours across the country and massive amounts of advertising leading up to the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. The Republicans braved Hurricane Isaac in the last week of August to nominate Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan for president and... (more...)

UST-ORLANDOPARKS

Sheen, Lohan named new ‘American Idol’ judges

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 18, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

After months of speculation, it was confirmed Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan will join Randy Jackson and Mariah Carey at the judges’ table on “American Idol” this year. With the new season rapidly approaching, sources say Fox Broadcasting executives were desperate to hire new judges... (more...)

Zippin

Zippin Pippin seats too small for heavy passengers

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 18, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Bay Beach Amusement Park has come under heat for the small seat sizes on its roller coaster, Zippin Pippin, following an incident Sept. 15. A local bar owner and cheese connoisseur was asked to get off the roller coaster when he was unable to fasten the seat belt all the way around his gut. After... (more...)

love and relationships

‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ heads to Broadway

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

The best-selling novel “Fifty Shades of Grey” is getting new life–on Broadway! The show will open in summer 2013, its producers said. A theater, dates and casting have yet to be set. E.L. James’s book started out as a tale of “Twilight” fan-fiction that went viral. It tells... (more...)

Biden

Biden mistakes gentlemen’s club for wax museum

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Vice President Joe Biden stirred controversy last weekend during a campaign stop in Green Bay. Biden had his crew make a pit stop at the Oval Office Gentleman’s Club on Main Street, believing it to be a wax museum of former presidents. Once inside, witnesses say Biden was either painfully... (more...)

Dorm room

Student finally asks roommate to clean room

Jared Christman, Off the Wall Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Off the Wall

Though the school year has just begun, a confrontation that could have escalated into an all out brawl ended quite amicably. According to sources, Tyler Burkhart, freshman, had become more and more annoyed with roommate Patrick Lewis, freshman, in the first two weeks of school due to his messy... (more...)

Park space will connect Union, student housing

Jared Christman, Assistant News Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under News

Don’t be surprised if construction crews start tearing up the land between the University Union and the Residence halls. Chancellor Harden approved plans to create a new outdoor multipurpose gathering space earlier this year. The space, which is currently covered by trees, brush and other... (more...)

2011 Green Parade 8

Downtown Green Bay goes green

Jared Christman, Entertainment Writer
May 3, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

Green Parade and Eco-Block Party held May 5 It’s that time of year in Wisconsin.  The seasons are changing, the snow melted and flowers are blossoming.  As the weather warms up, the Greater Green Bay Earth Week Coalition reminds the community not to take this change for granted. The coalition... (more...)

Locos Por Juana Shoot 1

Band brings Latin flavor

Jared Christman, Entertainment Writer
April 26, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

Locos Por Juana is leaving the Miami heat and bringing its music to the UW-Green Bay Phoenix Club April 27 at 8 p.m. The band, which features several members of Colombian descent, incorporates the sounds of its members’ heritages into its Afro-Caribbean music. “Living in Miami, you have... (more...)

Cabaret

Students bring ‘Cabaret’ to Weidner

Jared Christman , Entertainment Writer
April 19, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

UW-Green Bay students are set to take the stage with their production of the hit musical “Cabaret” April 20-21. “Cabaret” marks the first time a student production has been performed on the Weidner Center’s main stage in more than 10 years. “Cabaret” is a groundbreaking musical... (more...)

marty

UWGB experiences life with photographer’s lens

Jared Christman, Entertainment Writer
April 12, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

Award-winning travel author Marty Essen is bringing his high-energy show “Around the World in 90 Minutes” to UW-Green Bay April 24. Essen will give a lecture in the Phoenix Rooms about his travels across the world as a photographer for National Geographic. Essen chronicled his experiences... (more...)