Stories Written by Joseph Massimo

Republican Convention in Tampa, Florida

Candidates create controversy with taxes

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Taxes — they’re what many Americans put off until the last second in April, what most politicians consider a swear word, and the kind of reading only an IRS agent could cozy up with.  Yet despite the begrudging attitudes most have toward taxes, the nation and the media have risen the cry... (more...)

STR

Canada breaks ties with Iran, sends global message

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Opinion

In a surprise move, the Canadian government broke ties with Iran, calling the nation the current most significant threat to global peace and security. According to Reuters, Canada gave the boot to Iranian diplomats Sept. 7, giving them five days to leave Canadian soil and make their way back... (more...)

FOOTBALL COLLEGE NCAA

More colleges using monitoring software on student athletes

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Big Brother is watching, and for the student athletes of several colleges across the country, no tweet is safe.  Recently two colleges — University of Kentucky and University of Louisville — have come under scrutiny for using social monitoring systems to keep track of their student athletes’... (more...)

Democratic National Convention, Charlotte, NC

Republicans say America was better off four years ago

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

“Are we better off than we were four years ago?” The infamous question, originally asked by Ronald Reagan during his run for the presidency, has once again become the main tagline of the Republican Party these past few weeks in an effort to squelch President Obama’s ratings at the polls. While... (more...)

NIKE GREATNESS

Nike greatness ad pushes obesity stereotypes

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Nathan Sorrell is a middle school student from London, Ohio. He’s 12 years old, stands 5 feet 3 inches tall, and weighs 200 pounds. He isn’t one of the typical athletic types normally featured in Nike commercials — in fact, you could say he’s the polar opposite. But there he was, slowly... (more...)

SONY DSC

Veterans find tools to succeed at UWGB

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under News

1968 was a turbulent year for the U.S.:  the Civil Rights Movement was in full swing; U.S. Senator and presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated; the first episode of 60 Minutes debuted on CBS; and overseas, the Vietcong initiated the Tet Offensive, striking major cities and... (more...)

Politician compares controversial law to Pearl Harbor

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under Opinion

“I know in your mind you can think of times when America was attacked. One is December 7 — that’s Pearl Harbor day. The other is Sept. 11, and that’s the day of the terrorist attack. I want you to remember August 1, 2012 — the attack on our religious freedom.” These were the words... (more...)

US Troops leaving Iraq

US troops disgrace their country

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Writer
May 3, 2012
Filed under Opinion Archives

US troops take photos with the corpses of Afghan insurgents Stupid—it’s the only word in the English language that can properly describe the actions of several U.S. Army paratroopers that recently came into light. April 18, several photos of U.S. troops posing with the corpses of Afghan... (more...)

NRA opens with Leadership Forum

Santorum drops out of presidential race

Joseph Massimo, Joseph Massimo
April 26, 2012
Filed under Opinion Archives

Every season on American Idol, I love to watch the first few episodes and get a good laugh at a few of the contestants—namely, the ones who shouldn’t have uttered one musical note in their lives. As cruel as it may seem, there’s a strange mix of pity and entertainment at watching people... (more...)

Opinion-Planned Parenthood-Pamperin 3

Appleton Planned Parenthood bombed

Joseph Massimo , Opinion Writer
April 19, 2012
Filed under Opinion Archives

Abortion is one of the most heated controversies in the U.S.—and for an Appleton Planned Parenthood facility in Grand Chute, Wis., the flames became more than proverbial. Around 7:30 p.m. April 1, a small explosive device detonated on the windowsill of the building, damaging one of the exam... (more...)

protestors outside the Supreme Court

Supreme Court debates Obamacare

Joseph Massimo, Opinion Writer
April 12, 2012
Filed under Opinion Archives

Obamacare. Used to describe President Barack Obama’s healthcare reform laws—the very word sends shudders trickling down Republican spines. Recently, the term has become almost derogatory for the GOP and critics of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Obama’s leading bill on... (more...)