Stories Written by Nicole Lasee

Green Bay offers off-campus entertainment

Nicole lasee, Contributor
September 16, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Across Green Bay, varying venues cater to multiple musical genres and performance types. The majority of the venues are for an audience of 21 and above, but there are still options available for underage enthusiasts. Crunchy Frog/301 S. Broadway St. This hub for music is known for hosting... (more...)

Rising global temperature

Carbon tax addresses climate change issue

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
May 8, 2013
Filed under Opinion

As we approach another hot summer, rumors of climate change filter into our thoughts. We have been warned about our negative effects on the planet since Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” was brought to the forefront of the big screen. Our damages are becoming more and more prevalent and... (more...)

VicVox5.Makiniaweb

Victoria Vox unlocks the ‘Key’ to new album

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
May 1, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

To celebrate the release of her 11th record, “Key,” released April 2, Vox returned to UW-Green Bay April 17 and 18. The French Club organized the event along with the French department. Over her musical career, both her voice and instruments have changed, but she remains loyal to at least... (more...)

LKweb

Broadway remasters childhood classic

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor/Commentary
April 17, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Traveling from its Broadway stage, the Serengeti comes to life at the Appleton Performing Arts Center April 9 through May 5. More than 61 million people around the world  have seen “The Lion King” since its start in 1997. Its spin on the classic Disney film has made it one of the top 10... (more...)

K.Torgensen work1.Makiniaweb

Senior Show displays scholarly artwork

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
April 17, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

As the year draws to a close, UW-Green Bay students found ways to leave their mark on campus. Arts and visual design seniors will present the Senior Show I until April 25 in the Lawton Gallery. During opening day, April 14, the senior artists displayed their statements and pieces to... (more...)

Obama meets with Congress on the Hill over budget

People in poverty will remain in poverty

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
March 27, 2013
Filed under Opinion

During the president’s State of the Union address Feb. 12, Obama proposed raising the federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $9 an hour. Obama attributed his minimum wage proposal to assist families living in poverty, but this attempt is a complete failure. “The raise in minimum wage is poorly... (more...)

bandweb

Space Magic makes much anticipated comeback

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
March 13, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Hailing from Green Bay, four charismatic rockers performed a reunion show March 7 at Liquid 8. Space Magic’s reunion performance was the highest grossing Local and Loud Thursday event Liquid 8 has hosted, according to owner Andy Calhoun. Known for its allure and on-stage enthusiasm, Space... (more...)

makiniaweb

Rain experiences ‘A Day in the Life’ of the Beatles

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

“I Rain, I don’t mind, shine the world looks fine,” said John Lennon. A tribute band to The Beatles, Rain, visited the Brown County Arena Feb. 21. Rain is a multimedia production that included a video montage to salute The Beatles’ reign. Invading America in 1964, The Beatles received... (more...)

3Gaj95HIweb

Ex Cops pull over at Meyer Theatre

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Manhattan record store’s label, Other Music Recording Co.’s, celebrated its first  signed band’s debut album this January. Other Music’s label has developed an international reputation for obscure psychedelic and electronic artists, but it’s first album of the year was as traditional... (more...)

2011_0830_SarahM-1818b_bwweb

Sarah Meredith Livingston sets tone for faculty recital

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
Filed under Entertainment

In solo and classical singing, mezzosoprano, an Italian expression, means to sing the middle range of a soprano voice. UW-Green Bay’s own mezzosoprano, Sarah Meredith Livingston, associate professor of music, will perform a faculty recital Feb. 10 at 5 p.m. Admission is free at the Fort Howard... (more...)

lmbf csi website

‘CSI Kewaunee’ solves ‘wurst’ crime of the century

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
Filed under Entertainment

Who stole the Kishka from the control room? Was it the electrician with a wrench? Was it the shift manager with a scissors, or was it the saucy security guard with a fork? Let Me Be Frank Productions’ “CSI Kewaunee,” brings an all-new investigative musical to the stage Feb. 1-2, 7-9,... (more...)

Good Intentionsweb

Neville Museum displays ‘Artists as Teachers’

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

No pens or markers allowed. No pushing or roughhousing. No food. Use inside voices and no climbing the exhibits. These are rules taught to students while visiting a museum. As adults, many can control their temptations and have learned to appreciate the diverse displays on museum walls. From... (more...)

The Phry (3 of 4)web

Phry-Phish Tribute Band jams for ‘2 Nights in the Valley’

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
January 30, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Known on the media circuit for its 17 albums and notorious fanbase, the illusive band Phish has inspired four musicians to follow in its footsteps of long jam sessions and live stage performances. The Phry-Phish Tribute Band will make its debut in Green Bay at Frets & Friends bar Feb. 1... (more...)

IMG_5542web

Instinctive artist D.A. Lindgren exposes 3-D canvas

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
January 30, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

Sculpted canvases express instinctive contact and involvement of the artist with the work. From molding and plying the buildup for the canvas and applying paint to new textures, sculpted canvases allow the viewer to see the dimensions of the piece. The Friends of the Brown County Library Arts... (more...)

Batman Live2

Batman Live – Preview

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
November 21, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

A unique action-packed live arena show is the product of Warner Brothers, Consumer Products, DC Entertainment and Water Lane Productions. For the first time in DC Comic history, Batman Live brings Batman and a host of iconic characters in a visually stunning production to North America. The... (more...)

artbombweb

Art bombs highlight mundane

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
October 30, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Chain links, iron, steel and hundreds of yards of yarn have been popping up around UW-Green Bay. Anonymous art bombers are behind the random acts of art displayed on uncharted locations. Art bombs are anynomous creations, used to highlight the areas that are usually unnoticed. They are used... (more...)

CA

Standing bass receives standing ovation

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
October 9, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

“American Idol” season 10 contestant Casey Abrams and his band performed at the Salvation Army Kroc Center Sept. 26. No tickets were necessary, but donations were encouraged at the door. The money raised was dispersed to the Brown County Salvation Army and the WIXX Christmas Fund. Autographs... (more...)

Carrie Underwood

Underwood leaves Green Bay ‘Blown Away’

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
October 2, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Rising to fame after winning the fourth season of “American Idol,” Carrie Underwood returned to Green Bay on her “Blown Away” tour at the Resch Center Sep. 26. The tour showcased her newest single “Blown Away,” which was released in May. “Every ticket sold tonight has one dollar... (more...)

Ryan Calhoun

Heaven Switch amplifies the semester’s start

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

Ryan Calhoun came to Green Bay’s Phoenix Club Sept. 5 along with band members of Heaven Switch. From Los Angeles, Calhoun’s lyrics entranced the audience by showcasing his down to earth music written from the heart. Calhoun’s debut project, The Heaven Switch, features a three-man group... (more...)

Meyer Theatre welcomes JJ Heller for benefit concert

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

A benefit concert for Green Bay’s nonprofit venue Cup O’ Joy will be held at the Meyer Theatre Sept. 15. It features the music of JJ Heller. The Cup’s primary focus is on Christian artists because of the community background of the nonprofit location. “We believe faith is central to... (more...)

shannon

Shannon Curtis drives dreampop to UWGB

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Editor
September 11, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Top Stories

The Common Grounds Coffeehouse, Groovin’ Grounds, showcases a performer the first Friday of each month. Kicking of the semester, Groovin’ Grounds hosted Shannon Curtis, Sept. 7. Groovin’ Grounds provided an intimate setting with lit candles on each table for Curtis to debut her newest... (more...)

pat2

Singer brings music, guitar, followers to UWGB

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Writer
May 3, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

PatHeads unite at Pat McCurdy show May 3   Pat McCurdy, local musician from Milwaukee, is returning to UW-Green Bay’s Phoenix Club May 3 at 8 p.m. McCurdy performs at venues around Wisconsin and surrounding states on a regular basis. “I have been coming to campus for around 10 years... (more...)

CIRQUE du SOLEIL'S IRIS

Imaginations reach new heights with Quidam

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Writer
April 28, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

Green Bay’s Resch Center presents Cirque du Soleil, May 1-2 at 7:30 p.m., for their performance of the critically proclaimed production, Quidam. Quidam has inspired and amazed audiences in five different continents and over 100 cities. Millions of people have witnessed this captivating performance... (more...)

Alternative pop-rock band heats up UWGB

Nicole Lasee , Entertainment Writer
April 19, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

For many people, starting a band is just a hobby, but alternative pop-rock band The Sommer is trying to prove its willing to turn music into a career. The Sommer will bring its original music to the Phoenix Club April 20 at 10 p.m. Members John and Mike McCaulley both write songs, play guitar... (more...)

ENT.GBO1

GBSO creates magical music with Disney

Nicole Lasee, Entertainment Writer
April 12, 2012
Filed under Entertainment Archives

The Green Bay Symphony Orchestra will entertain everyone from the young in age to the young at heart with its latest performance, “The Magical Music of Disney.” Audiences can enjoy Disney classics April 14 at 7:30 p.m. in the Weidner Center. The orchestras will play music from the films... (more...)