Stories Written by Reed Schneider

opinion.turbotax.long1web

TurboTax steals billions of dollars each year

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
April 10, 2013
Filed under Opinion

College students need to get more involved in doing their taxes. Just having their parents eductate them could help prevent them from falling for TurboTax’s scam. Intuit, maker of TurboTax, doesn’t want possible consumers to realize there’s a cheaper, quicker option on the market. With... (more...)

facebookweb

Facebook compliments page creates positive atmosphere

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
March 27, 2013
Filed under Life, Top Stories

After a couple of minutes of reading dirty proclamations on the UW-Green Bay Confessions page, there is another Facebook page students can look at before inevitably turning to various cleaning supplies to sanitize all public furniture. The UWGB Compliments page is a community project focused... (more...)

6349763859_49792ef9ed_bweb

US military finally allows women to enter combat

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
Filed under Opinion

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta is lifting the military’s official ban on women in combat. This decision overturns a 1994 Pentagon rule restricting women from artillery, armor, infantry and other such combat roles, according to the New York Times. It’s taken a bit too long for our government... (more...)

Facebook is a breeding ground for negativity

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
Filed under Opinion

A joint study conducted by two German universities has found Facebook isn’t only the world’s largest social network, but also the world’s largest source of envy. The researchers discovered one in three people felt worse and more dissatisfied with their lives after visiting the site, according... (more...)

Record hot year for the United States

Rising temperatures prove action needs to be taken

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
Filed under Opinion

Every winter in Fairfield, Wis., Nina Bradley, daughter of the famed ecologist and pioneer of wildlife management Aldo Leopold, walks down the same trail her father walked before her and studies nature around her. As an 89-year-old, she has made increasingly convincing observations — the... (more...)

MBR

Binge drinkers recklessly abuse alcohol

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

In May, binge drinkers will be labeled as alcoholics. Revisions to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5 could classify 40 percent of college students as suffering from mild alcoholism. The changes to take effect with DSM-5 are the disposals of the terms dependence and... (more...)

Shooting at elementary school in Connecticut

New gun laws are necessary for safety

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
January 30, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

President Obama stood in front of an entire country stricken with a mix of emotions and spoke about the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown, Conn., Dec. 16. Halfway through his speech, he lost his voice after explaining the majority of the victims were between 5 and 10 years... (more...)

Atheism

Politicians discriminate against those without belief

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
January 30, 2013
Filed under Opinion

This month, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema was sworn into Congress without a Bible. According to CNN, she is the first member of Congress to openly describe her religious affiliation as none. While there are 10 other members that don’t specify a particular religious affiliation, which has increased... (more...)

Rising ceiling

Congress doesn’t deserve a salary

Reed Schneider, Opinion Editor
January 30, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The average hard-working American makes $42,980 a year, according to the U.S. Social Security Administration. In contrast, the current salary for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $174,000 per year. The House passed the “No Budget, No Pay Act” Jan. 24, a bill that essentially... (more...)

2011 Military Photographer of the Year photo competition

Tobacco companies deserve harsher punishment

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
December 12, 2012
Filed under Opinion

U.S. District Judge Gladys Kessler ordered tobacco companies to publish correctives, statements declaring they blatantly lied to the public, Nov. 27. Kessler previously ruled for the industry to pay for the advertising, but the recent judgment involves what they will actually have to say. While... (more...)

US NEWS GROVERNORQUIST 1 TB

Republican pledge breakers are role models

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
December 12, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

The countdown has begun. While Republicans and Democrats in the House and Senate continue to argue over taxes and spending cuts, the U.S. hurtles headlong towards the ever-looming fiscal cliff. A growing number of Republicans have shown their willingness to compromise by standing against one... (more...)

Gay marriage illustration

Gay rights assaulted in Wis. school publication

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
December 4, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Tanner, a Thirteen-year-old Shawano High School student, picked up a copy of the school paper, The Hawks Post, and read over the normal pro-and-con editorial page. There he found an offensive article that opposed same-sex married couples adopting children. Troubled and confused, he took it... (more...)

Campaign-Romney

State secession petitions shouldn’t be taken seriously

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
November 27, 2012
Filed under Opinion

It would have been an understatement to say Republicans weren’t happy with the results of the presidential election this November. Instead of the usual demands for a recount, accusations of cheating and insults regarding the incumbent’s masculinity, some hardcore Republicans have decided... (more...)

Republican Convention in Tampa, Florida

Wisconsin lawmakers try to strong-arm Obamacare

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
November 27, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Nov. 16, Wisconsin heard from Gov. Scott Walker regarding the implementation of health care exchange. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Walker was required to make the decision of whether to allow the federal government to implement Obamacare in Wisconsin or create a state health... (more...)

Disney buys Star Wars

Disney keeps ‘Star Wars’ alive with company buyout

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Opinion

The Walt Disney Company bought Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in stocks and cash October 30, and announced the coming of “Star Wars: Episode VII” in 2015. With Disney’s recent buyouts, including Pixar Animation Studios in 2006 for $7.4 billion and Marvel Entertainment in 2009 for another... (more...)

Halloween leftover candy

US citizens need to cut back on sugary sweets

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
November 14, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Halloween is done and over with, and trick-or-treaters across the U.S. have long since finished the small mountains of candy they collected. Some people, like University of Californi-San Francisco Dr. Robert Lustig, though, still have sweets on the mind. More specifically, Lustig’s focused... (more...)

SCOTUS COURT LAW MEDICINE ABORTION

Pro-life stabbing outside clinic reveals hypocrisy

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
November 7, 2012
Filed under Opinion

A pro-life advocate stabbed a man six times in the abdomen and once in the neck outside a Planned Parenthood in Grants Pass, Ore. Oct. 23. According to ABC News, 54-year-old Christopher Tolhurst protested abortion without incident for months outside the health center. Planned Parenthood has... (more...)

US NEWS FACTORYSHOOTING 3 MW

Sheboygan teens should be tried as adults in murder case

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 30, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Monday, Sept. 17, 13-year-old Antonio Barbeau and his friend, Nathan Paape, also 13, entered the home of Barbara Olson, Barbeau’s great-grandmother, in Sheboygan Falls, Wis. Barbeau had a hammer in his hand. Paape had a hatchet. With the intent to rob and kill the 78-year-old woman, both... (more...)

Wisconsin schools get graded, need improvement

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 30, 2012
Filed under Opinion

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction released reports cards, measured on a nationwide scale, for every K-12 school and school district in Wisconsin Oct. 22. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, this means the schools will receive dramatically different data on how many students... (more...)

INJUREDTROOPS

Veterans deserve better than waiting for VA benefits

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 23, 2012
Filed under Opinion

His white-knuckled hands contrasted the drab black of the steering wheel as he involuntarily gripped it harder and harder. A grocery list containing every single item he had painstakingly counted and retrieved sat next to him in the passenger seat. Standing for longer than half an hour in the... (more...)

drinkingweb

Current drinking age unfair to today’s youth

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 23, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

Kyle Gilbert was a soldier in the U.S. Army. He was not allowed to join his friends at a local bar for a goodbye drink before he was shipped off because he was only 20 years old. According to ABC News, Kyle was killed in Iraq almost nine years ago while serving for his country. Vermont Rep.... (more...)

TEXTBOOK RENTAL PROGRAM

Free textbooks offer affordable education

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

In an effort to move forward in online education, Calif. Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law a proposal to create an open-source website allowing students of 2013 to download popular and expensive textbooks for free. It’s about time a government takes a step in the right direction. In these... (more...)

Predator drone

Drone strikes are justified despite higher casualties

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 9, 2012
Filed under Opinion

A new study has surfaced proclaiming U.S. drone strikes are far more devastating to innocent civilians than previously thought. The study, presented by Stanford Law School and New York University’s School of Law, contains information collected from interviews with victims, witnesses and experts... (more...)

Gospel_of_Jesus'_Wife

Christians overreact to new evidence of Jesus’ wife

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
October 2, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Jesus Christ’s marital status is now in question – again. Karen King, a historian at Harvard Divinity School, recently presented a newly found artifact containing information on Jesus’ wife. The astonishing discovery could ignite disputes across religious communities. However, it seems... (more...)

Wealth-gap cartoon

The rich are getting richer, but they deserve it

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
September 25, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Ever since the Occupy Wall Street movement, the wealthy have been frowned upon by society. The gap between that 1 percent and the rest has grown by the year, only adding more tension to an already sore topic. People were ready to go out of their way to protest how unfairly they were being treated. What... (more...)

Unemployment rate drops before election

Reed Schneider, Opinion Writer
September 18, 2012
Filed under Opinion

It is no secret that the unemployment rate rose dramatically during President Obama’s time in office. Beginning at just under 8 percent – about 2 percent higher than what experts agree is an acceptable rate – the rate skyrocketed to 10 percent. Some people may take a look at those numbers... (more...)